What's new

In doubt - 3 routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

munkebuen31

New Around Here
Well it might be overkill for my needs but with 2 grown up kids aged 10 and 12 and more and more electronic devices and streaming in our house my present router just can't keep up with the demands.

I have been looking at 3 routers. I am looking for stabil performance and range. I do have one set of d-link extenders in the house right now. And i am wondering if all the 3 routers can interact with the extender.

asus rt-ac68u
netgear r7000 nighthawk ac1900
d-link dir 880L

Just tested my speed this evening in kitchen (5-6 meters from router)
40 mbps download
9 mbps upload

Kids room (10-12 meters from router)
28 mbps download
4 mbps upload

Hope someone can comment or help. Thanks....

Kent from Denmark

What is your current router? Do you have customized firmware on it?

Of the three options you offer, the Asus RT-AC68U would be my only suggestion. And yes, all of them should work to varying degrees with the extender you have now.

The D-Link extenders may not even be needed anymore, I would certainly try any new router without them. Especially as they are giving you half or less of the wireless performance possible from any router they and their clients are connected to.

Of the three options you offer, the Asus RT-AC68U would be my only suggestion. And yes, all of them should work to varying degrees with the extender you have now.???

It seems that 880L logging is useless. You cannot view the log directly; you can only have it sent to you by e-mail on a scheduled basis. That didn't work for me. But I couldn't diagnose it because I could not see the log.

you could always get all 3 except for dlink. Just avoid dlink. you should choose between the asus ac68u or netgear r7000 or even the newer MU-MIMO variants like the AC88U.

I would recommend the Netgear R7000 with dd-wrt firmware. Using one right now with Kong's latest firmware release for the R7000, and it is working really well. Strong wireless coverage, fast and stable. Really liking it.