What's new

intel wifi 5100 AGN - netgear wndr3700 - speed only 54mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

quukske77

New Around Here
Hi all,

I have an intel wifi 5100 AGN networkcard in my laptop and a netgear wndr3700 router. The problem is that i can not get a higher speed then 54mbps according to windows. The actual speed is not more then 25 mbps. I would expect at least a speed of 300 mbps according to windows. The actual speed depends off course on all other things.
I searched all the forums and the website of SNB but nothing helped me to increase the speed. I am using the 5GH and the laptop is the only one connecting to it. I am using wpa2 aes and i configured the router to "up to 300 mbps" for the 5GH. I tried to change all settings for the networkcard including the WWM (or something like that). The signal strength is excellent and the distance is not more then 10 meters. The networkcard and the router have the latest firmware. Does anybody have any idea or suggestion to solve this?

Thx.

Hi all,

I have an intel wifi 5100 AGN networkcard in my laptop and a netgear wndr3700 router. The problem is that i can not get a higher speed then 54mbps according to windows. The actual speed is not more then 25 mbps. I would expect at least a speed of 300 mbps according to windows. The actual speed depends off course on all other things.
I searched all the forums and the website of SNB but nothing helped me to increase the speed. I am using the 5GH and the laptop is the only one connecting to it. I am using wpa2 aes and i configured the router to "up to 300 mbps" for the 5GH. I tried to change all settings for the networkcard including the WWM (or something like that). The signal strength is excellent and the distance is not more then 10 meters. The networkcard and the router have the latest firmware. Does anybody have any idea or suggestion to solve this?

Thx.

So let me get this straight.

You have the router configured in Wireless N mode and NOT wireless N/G?
5Ghz frequency
WPA2 AES
Single Strength is excellent
Distance is 10 meters

First you need to re-adjust your expectations. The 5100 has only two antennas so your not going to see max throughput. It also depends on how many walls and the thickness of those walls. 30' at 5Ghz is like trying to do 50+' at 2.4Ghz.

Make sure that the Router is set to use wireless N exclusively and not the N/G compatibility fallback mode.

Make sure that your 5100 driver is somewhat recent.

Make sure that your 5100 driver is configured in Auto bandwith mode for the 20mhz/40mhz choice.... It should already be configured that way.

Realistically you should be getting a 130mbps connection. With about a 65mbps throughput.
20/40 automatic on BOTH my router config page and the Intel 5100 config

Thx for your reply mackintire. My expectation is not that high. The throughput depends on a lot of things so i know the throughput will never reach 300mbps. But the connection i would expect to be 300mbps. When i look in windows vista at the connection status the speed is 54mbps. Or am i wrong here?
I would already be happy if i could increase it to a 130mbps connection. I put the router on the 5gh to the "up to 300mbps". I think this is the N mode and not the N/G mode. The 2.4 gh i put to the "up to 130 mbps" but i know for sure my laptop is connected to the 5 gh. I checked the settings of the networkcard over and over again and i think it is setup the correct way like the Auto bandwith mode.

Make sure your Intel 5100 is the only device connected to your SSID and try again.

Be sure the router is set to WPA2/AES only. Not TKIP/AES.

Did you check for newer drivers from Intel's support website?

FYI..... I'm running a wndr3500 WPA2/AES wireless N on 2.4Ghz 20mhz setting connecting at 144mbps with a 4965AGN Windows 7 Pro.

Well i have got some great news. I am finally get speeds from 150mbps till 300 mbps. I already read on the website of SNB about WMM. Looking at the router settings this was of for both 2.4 and the 5 gh. After turning it on my speed increased. It took me a couple of days to figure this out. Thx all for your help.