What's new

Interesting transfer speed issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Headcase_Fargone

New Around Here
I'm experiencing some strange speed issues with my new laptop's wireless. I'll try to give as much detail as possible in the hopes that someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

Laptop: Windows 7 x64, Atheros-based 802.11N built-in.
Router: Netgear WNDR3700
NAS: D-Link DNS-321, gigabit wired to WNDR3700 via CAT6.
Desktop: Windows 7 x86, gigabit wired to WDNR3700 via CAT6.

Distance from laptop to router doesn't seem to make any difference. Never more than 15 feet away and one wall between.

The trouble is that transferring from the laptop (wirelessly) straight to the NAS is abysmally slow. It tops out at 2MB/sec on drag-and-drop transfers.

What's strange is that I can transfer to the NAS from all of my desktops at around 13MB/sec. I can also transfer files to AND from my laptop to desktop and vice versa at around 10MB/sec.

I can even transfer FROM the NAS to the laptop wirelessly at 6.5-7MB/sec. So what gives on transfers going to it?

What speed do you get with that same laptop connected via Ethernet? (Make sure you disable the wireless adapter when you test this.)

Also, what wireless security are you using (WEP, WPA, WPA2) and what
link rate (speed) is the laptop reporting?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!