What's new

Internet over cable but not wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

johnnyhillen

New Around Here
Hi

Im new to the forum and have limited experience in networking.

Im trying to help my mum set up a network in her house. she lives in a very old brick house with very thick walls. There was appauling wifi coverage outside of the hall where the main router resides.

About a week ago I have ran cat 5e to the attic where i have placed a tplink tl-wr841n. I have set the ip address to 192.168.2.1 so its far from the main routers, set the ssid and password and disabled the dhcp. I then ran cat 5e from that to the other side of the house and put another same model router with the same settings. I was able to get internet access upstairs from the first tplink router using both wifi and wired connecton. when i tried the second it wouldnt connect to the internet either way.

i came back to day and am trying i again. i reset both routers and re entered the settings again but now i can get internet through a wired connection only to both tplink routers. i can get my phone to connect via wifi to both networks but theres no internet connection

any ideas

thanks in advance

Try keeping all your routers/APs/clients on the same network. Create 2 static IP addresses for your APs (your tplink routers).

On your wireless side of the network, on your 2.4 GHz radio use the 3 non overlapping channels 1, 6, & 11. Example: Main router use channel 1, one of your APs use channel 6, and the other AP use channel 11.

For just an example here I'll use the 192.168.3.0 network. On your main router set your dhcp server to hand out IPs from 192.168.3.100 to 192.168.3.199 range.
Create 2 static IPs outside of the dhcp server range for your 2 APs. This is done on your main router. Use 192.168.3.210 for one of them and 192.168.3.230 for the other one. Your main router IP can be 192.168.3.1

On your APs just like you have already, make sure that DHCP is turned off. Also make sure that the ethernet cables that connect your router and access points run from router lan ports to the APs' lan ports not wan port. Make sure when you set up your APs that you set each of the AP's IP address is those 2 IP addresses you made for them.

just to clarify the setting on the second tplink router are thge same but the ip is 192.168.3.1
The most straight forward method to setup APs is to have all the routers/APs in the same subnet and turn of the DHCP function on the APS. Therefore if the primary router's private LAN IP is 192.168.1.1 (very common) then following my advice the first AP would be 192.168.1.2 and the second AP would be 192.168.1.3.

Then put all the devices on different non overlapping radio channels 1,6,11. You can either use the same SSID on each of the devices or different SSIDs. For some people using the same SSID works very well for others not so well. Really depends on the devices you have connecting.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!