What's new

ipv6 question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bodean

Very Senior Member
I configured my ASUS AC66U router to allow ipv6 access (IPv6 -- Connection Type Native with DHCP-PD).
My question if, if I use a static IP address on all my PCs at home, my IPv6 is set to automatically obtain an ip address and dns. Is this correct? I do not set ipv6 to static, just ipv4?

I configured my ASUS AC66U router to allow ipv6 access (IPv6 -- Connection Type Native with DHCP-PD).
My question if, if I use a static IP address on all my PCs at home, my IPv6 is set to automatically obtain an ip address and dns. Is this correct? I do not set ipv6 to static, just ipv4?

I'm not sure exactly where you're going with this, but it sounds like you're set up like me, dual IPv4/IPv6 stack. I'm also using native IPv6 with DHCP-PD. My home clients that I've given non-routable static addresses to have IPv4 addresses, yet when I'm using the internet from my home, my browsers will use IPv6 in preference to IPv4 if IPv6 is available. And my clients have IPv6 addresses, also.

I'm not sure what it means to "set IPv6 to static", though, so I hope that this answers your question.

IPv6 lets you avoid NAT, which means you can use services (such as for example SSH server) from internet to any of your local machines.
That means you need to fireproof all your accessible machines, but still a feature. :)

I'm not smart on IPv6... how does a private individual get a block of IPv6 addresses to use, without paying (much)?

Is the tunnel because residential ISPs don't support v6?
So the tunnel would enable use of v6 devices at my end, just to fiddle/experiment/learn?

Yep, an increasing amount of ISPs gives you Ipv6 right to your router now. They may not advertise it very well though in fear of confusing customers not ready for it though. So I guess it's a good idea to try native ipv6 and see if it works. If not, you'll have to wrap ipv6 through ipv4, as described above.

Is the tunnel because residential ISPs don't support v6?
So the tunnel would enable use of v6 devices at my end, just to fiddle/experiment/learn?

Yes.

If your ISP supports IPv6 you can set it up native. Here in Sweden most ISPs don't supply IPv6 to home users (most likely because it would give them more support issues and most home users wouldn't need/want it). Their backbones and servers mostly support IPv6 since a few years.

Yep, an increasing amount of ISPs gives you Ipv6 right to your router now. They may not advertise it very well though in fear of confusing customers not ready for it though. So I guess it's a good idea to try native ipv6 and see if it works. If not, you'll have to wrap ipv6 through ipv4, as described above.

Depends on the modem attached to the ISP - might need an upgrade there if your ISP directly supports IPv6 - otherwise, the tunnel approach is best if you can.