What's new

Is 802.11n channel bonding the only way to get link speed of 300mbps?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kacper

New Around Here
Is 802.11n channel bonding the only way to get link speed of 300mbps? Some access points have two or three antennas, how does this affect MIMO and link speeds?

Am I correct in assuming that to get link speeds of 300mbps without channel bonding one would require three MIMO streams (3x3), and that 300mbps is possible in a 2x2 configuration only with channel bonding?

To get 300 Mbps you need to force 40 MHz channel width. If you leave it on Auto or 20/40 MHz it will 99% of the time drop to 20 MHz and only give you 130 Mbps. I stay away from routers who don't force 40 MHz. That's why I gave up on D-Link products.

Be sure to multiply the WiFi raw bit rate (like 300Mbps) by 0.6 or so, to estimate what actual IP throughput you'll get (with just the right ideal conditions).

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!