What's new

Is it OK this configuration?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Kenneth

Occasional Visitor
Hi, I've read a lot of information about Router ASUS RT-N66U, I bought it a week ago, and I am noob. I update firmware(Merlin) and setup the netwotk very quickly, all devices and all the wifi speeds are OK...but with your knowledge i'd like to know if this are the optimal settings for my devices and router's SSIDs...I have excellent coverage and signal in all areas of my aparment. I want that each device work at max speed.

Here we go:

In wireless 2.4Ghz Frequency this are the devices that I've connected to:
- 2 Notebook with WiFi Newtwork Cards 802.11b/g/n
- iPhone3 (WiFi 802.11b/g)

In wireless 5Ghz Frequency, this are the devices that I've connected to:
- Cellphone HTC with WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n
- TV LG 425500LE with WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n
- iPad2 with WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n

Wireless 2.4Ghz Configuration
Wireless Mode: Auto
b/g protection: checked
Control CHannel: Auto
Channel Bandwidth: 20/40 Mhz
Extension Channel: Auto
Security: WPA2/AES

Wireless 5GHz Configuration
Wireless Mode: N Only
Control CHannel: Auto
Channel Bandwidth: 40 Mhz
Extension Channel: Auto
Security: WPA2/AES

In adittion, I have configured a Guest Wireless Network SSID with WPA2/AES, but only 1 day a week is used about 1-2 hours.

Is it OK? Would you change anything?

Thanks!

Suggestions

I would use inSSIDer to select clear/ lesser used channels for both the the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz frequency and then select that channel for your radios. For many people the best choice is 1, 6 or 11 in the 2.4 Ghz band. Some devices have problems when the channel is subject to change. Unless you live in a rural area and have no neighbors using WiFi I would just set my 2.4 bandwidth to 20.

It wasn't clear to me if you have any devices that use the 5 Ghz bandwidth. If you don't use the 5 Ghz turn the radio off and reduce the heat. In the same line consider using the automatic timer feature to turn both your radios off at times they are not used, ie. night time or during the day when you are at work.

Be sure the encryption for your radios is strong. A sentence using both upper and lowercase characters plus numbers and special characters is virtually uncrackable.

Also be sure that you have a strong password for your router's administration and unless you need to administer your router remotely, disable the ability to do so from the WAN.

Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions!

I would use inSSIDer to select clear/ lesser used channels for both the the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz frequency and then select that channel for your radios. For many people the best choice is 1, 6 or 11 in the 2.4 Ghz band. Some devices have problems when the channel is subject to change. Unless you live in a rural area and have no neighbors using WiFi I would just set my 2.4 bandwidth to 20.

Done. I set a fixed channel lesser used.

It wasn't clear to me if you have any devices that use the 5 Ghz bandwidth. If you don't use the 5 Ghz turn the radio off and reduce the heat. In the same line consider using the automatic timer feature to turn both your radios off at times they are not used, ie. night time or during the day when you are at work.

Yes, I have a TV, Ipad2 and a cellphone that use the 5Ghz Bandwidth (all of them with WiFi 802.11a/b/g/n), the principal use is to stream by DNLA HD Movies to this devices, for that reason I have the "N only" settings in the 5Ghz Bandwith and the 40Mhz. ¿Is it OK?

Be sure the encryption for your radios is strong. A sentence using both upper and lowercase characters plus numbers and special characters is virtually uncrackable.

Also be sure that you have a strong password for your router's administration and unless you need to administer your router remotely, disable the ability to do so from the WAN.

Yes, encryption is strong in both radios (WPA2/AES with very strong passwords), same strengthness in Router's administration password, remotely enabled to specific IPs.

Thanks!

cell phone using 5.8GHz WiFi? Cell phones per se in the US utilize 700/800MHz and 1900MHz bands.

TV with 802.11a? Unusual.

I'd disable use of 40MHz in 2.4GHz; perhaps you have.

Today's cordless phones in the US use DECT in the 1.9GHz band near cell phones.
Bluetooth, if you use it other than in the car, is 2.4GHz.

Last edited:
cell phone using 5.8GHz WiFi? Cell phones per se in the US utilize 700/800MHz and 1900MHz bands.

That bands are GSM or HSDPA Bands, not WiFi Specification. HTC One X is a 802.11a/b/g/n device.

TV with 802.11a? Unusual.

It's not only 802.11a, the LG Dongle is 802.11a/b/g/n (legacy)
http://www.lg.com/us/tv-accessories/lg-AN-WF100-usb-adapter/technical-specifications
...I connect TV to a 5Ghz frequency, because I want to receive DLNA streaming from router for HD Videos at high speed.

I'd disable use of 40MHz in 2.4GHz; perhaps you have.

Today's cordless phones in the US use DECT in the 1.9GHz band near cell phones.
Bluetooth, if you use it other than in the car, is 2.4GHz.

OK Thanks, I'm not sure of what the 20/40 Mhz frequency means in the 2.4Ghz Band.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!