What's new

Is it possible to completely remove AIProtection and other Asus bloatware?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not necessarily. Lately I did some experiments with Traditional QoS and it does not use TrendMicro services. It does disable hardware acceleration, but up to 250-300Mbps ISP it doesn't matter on RT-AC86U. Looks like it actually works with some minor tweaking. DSLReports speed test shows B or C bufferbloat with QoS disabled and constant A with QoS enabled.
Nice catch. Thanks. What category would a streaming service fall under in traditional? Is websurf UDP?

What category would a streaming service fall under in traditional?

I never bothered to specify any ports for streaming applications. What usually chokes the network is large file transfers. You can do your own Rule List using instructions here - https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/FAQ/1010951/. In my case I only give DNS, NTP, SMTP, IMAP, Xbox Live, Websirf, HTTPS, etc. essentials a High or Highest priority and File Transfers, Bittorent, etc. Low or Lowest priority. Also, 2 devices on my network have Highest priority setting, VoIP and a Printer/Scanner. Upload/Download Bandwidth is set to 80% of ISP connection speed, Queue Discipline is fq_codel.

I don't like to over-complicate things if something produces good results. The setup above is an experiment because Traditional QoS was kind of broken in the past. Don't know if it is fixed now, but it is definitely doing something. Bufferbloat test is always A and my family members are saying YouTube videos open faster and allow scrolling back/forward with virtually no delay. All this with some Linux distros downloading in the same time. So far so good.

I never bothered to specify any ports for streaming applications. What usually chokes the network is large file transfers. You can do your own Rule List using instructions here - https://www.asus.com/ca-en/support/FAQ/1010951/. In my case I only give DNS, NTP, SMTP, IMAP, Xbox Live, Websirf, HTTPS, etc. essentials a High or Highest priority and File Transfers, Bittorent, etc. Low or Lowest priority. Also, 2 devices on my network have Highest priority setting, VoIP and a Printer/Scanner. Upload/Download Bandwidth is set to 80% of ISP connection speed, Queue Discipline is fq_codel.

I don't like to over-complicate things if something produces good results. The setup above is an experiment because Traditional QoS was kind of broken in the past. Don't know if it is fixed now, but it is definitely doing something. Bufferbloat test is always A and my family members are saying YouTube videos open faster and allow scrolling back/forward with virtually no delay. All this with some Linux distros downloading in the same time. So far so good.
Appreciate the feedback. I've done as you suggested. Getting good speedtests without bufferbloat (actually better than adaptive QOS). Thanks again.

Thanks again.

Keep in mind it disables HW acceleration (or so called Runner and Flow Cache on RT-AC86U) and will limit network speed to about 400Mbps. But it works and doesn’t require TrendMicro services enabled. Actually, I find my router runs better with no HW acceleration.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!