What's new

Is it possible to delete merlin-logo.png?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil413

New Around Here
Hi,

I have an RT-AC68U router and I know this is going to seem really strange but is there any way to delete the merlin-logo.png file in /www/images/? I just prefer not have the image on the webpage. I enabled SSH and but I can't delete the file or change permissions. If it can't be deleted, are there any other options besides using stock firmware?

Thanks in advance.

If you really wanted to, you can make a copy of /www/state.js and edit out the loading of the logo. It IS weird, but doable. :rolleyes:
Bash:
#!/bin/sh
cp /www/state.js /tmp
sed -i '/merlin-logo/d' /tmp/state.js
mount -o bind /tmp/state.js /www/state.js
Put that in /jffs/scripts/services-start so it runs after a reboot.

Last edited:
I personally like seeing that Merlin logo..... it just confirms I am running the best firmware on my routers. :)

60883F19-1DED-4F82-BC1F-9372B35647F9.png

Last edited:
If you really wanted to, you can make a copy of /www/state.js and edit out the loading of the logo. It IS weird, but doable. :rolleyes:
Bash:
#!/bin/sh
cp /www/state.js /tmp
sed -i '/merlin-logo/d' /tmp/state.js
mount -o bind /tmp/state.js /www/state.js
Put that in /jffs/scripts/services-start so it runs after a reboot.

dave14305,

I plan to give that a try. Out of curiosity, can this same process be used to actually delete the file all together? Or, could the file be replaced with another PNG file?

Thanks!

dave14305,

I plan to give that a try. Out of curiosity, can this same process be used to actually delete the file all together? Or, could the file be replaced with another PNG file?

Thanks!
You could probably download a new image into JFFS and mount/bind that modified script (pointing to the new image) overtop. Why, though?

dave14305,

Thanks!
It’s one thing to remove Merlin’s branding for whatever your reason is, but would cross the line (to me) to replace with your own image. Give credit where it’s due.

It’s one thing to remove Merlin’s branding for whatever your reason is, but would cross the line (to me) to replace with your own image. Give credit where it’s due.
Agreed, I see no valid reason (any reason really) for removing Merlin's branding. Can always go to stock or start your own firmware if you see fit.

Agreed, I see no valid reason (any reason really) for removing Merlin's branding. Can always go to stock or start your own firmware if you see fit.

I know I'm going to sound like a religious nut but that's fine...no big deal. I just felt like the hat in the logo represents a wizard or magic. That's just not something that I believe in or associate with. Hence the reason I wanted to find a way to remove it. The reason I wanted to use Merlin is because it allows me to select which devices to apply VPN to instead of carte blanche like the stock firmware. I tried to replace the file with a "blank" (made a copy of the original PNG and erased it). However, because I don't know what I'm doing, I was unable to effectively replace the original file.

I will probably just go back to stock and install the TorGuard client on the devices I want to use it on. I appreciate everyone's help!

I know I'm going to sound like a religious nut but that's fine...no big deal. I just felt like the hat in the logo represents a wizard or magic. That's just not something that I believe in or associate with. Hence the reason I wanted to find a way to remove it. The reason I wanted to use Merlin is because it allows me to select which devices to apply VPN to instead of carte blanche like the stock firmware. I tried to replace the file with a "blank" (made a copy of the original PNG and erased it). However, because I don't know what I'm doing, I was unable to effectively replace the original file.

I will probably just go back to stock and install the TorGuard client on the devices I want to use it on. I appreciate everyone's help!
You know that Merlin is a fictional character based on a man that lived in the 6th century A warrior king . No magic there so you can relax

I hope Merlin logo can not be removed or replaced, because it represents the credits of a great development work. IMHO, if somebody things that hat of Merlin logo has magician powers, it is because ignorance. But I personally think that it is a excuse to remove author credits and try to give Merlin webUI a stock firmware appearance to scam somebody.

I tried to replace the file with a "blank" (made a copy of the original PNG and erased it). However, because I don't know what I'm doing, I was unable to effectively replace the original file.
Thanks for clarifying your reasons (don't take any crap from anybody telling you what you should believe or think). Upload your hatless image to /jffs/merlin-logo.png and use a similar mount command:
Bash:
#!/bin/sh
if [ -f /jffs/merlin-logo.png ]; then
  mount -o bind /jffs/merlin-logo.png /www/images/merlin-logo.png
fi

I know I'm going to sound like a religious nut but that's fine...no big deal. I just felt like the hat in the logo represents a wizard or magic. That's just not something that I believe in or associate with. Hence the reason I wanted to find a way to remove it.

yup, your grievance is petty and ridiculous

yup, your grievance is petty and ridiculous
They stated their reason and while I don't agree I can respect it. No need to patronize. These types of comments turn forums into toxic wastelands and doesn't help contribute to anything.

Last edited:
They stated their reason and while I don't agree I can respect it. No need to patronize. These types of comments turn forums into toxic wastelands and doesn't help contribute to anything.

as @Maloon astutely pointed out, Phil413's lame excuse for wanting to remove and replace Merlin's logo is dubious at best. i don't believe this person is telling the truth.

@techcafe we will never know if the reasoning is true or not. But I can imagine settings when you for social reasons or social settings that for the majority may be hard to understand need/want to customize symbols, language or visuals.

Most technology and knowledge can be used for good or bad. I like this to be a open forum with as little moralizing as possible. We do not know the reasoning or needs of everything and a small detail can be very important in some settings. I think @dave14305 showed the way. Let this be a open forum that help etch other with solutions, how strange a questions even might seem.

So you are guys are saying @RMerlin isn’t Harry Potter? Welp, that’s how I always imagine him. Please don’t ruin that for me. Expelliarmus. Happy Monday.

I agree with @dave14305, @QuikSilver, and @KW. above.

If @RMerlin is okay with the reason, and he seems to be, the rest of us should be too.

There is nothing worse than being suspicious all the time of other's motives. Even if that suspicion turns out to be true in some of the cases.

If you use an ad blocker in your browser, just block that specific URL.

Otherwise no, short of compiling your own firmware, or mounting a modified copy of state.js on top of the existing one as was suggested, you cannot modify the content of the flashed firmware, because it`s read-only.

Going to lock this thread now before it devolves into further ideology discussions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!