What's new

Is it possible to get the lan ports to work in a wireless router reconfigured as AP?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LeeNYPost

Occasional Visitor
Hey all. I have a WNDR3700 has my main router and 2 more WNDR3700's used as wireless AP's on my network. Is it possible to hardwire a device in to the back of the AP's so that device can connect to the internet and if so what steps do I need to take or is there an article I can read that will help me get this done? I currently have the AP's connected to the main router via lan port to lan port connection. I have as of yet not even attempted to connect something via wire to any other lan port on either of my AP's as I assumed it would not work in my current configuration. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Also, if it makes it any easier, I also have an older unused D-Link dir-655 that I could connect to any of the AP's somehow if tat would help... But I doubt that would make a difference. Thanks again in advance.

In routers converted to APs, all LAN switch ports still work. Just plug in.

In routers converted to APs, all LAN switch ports still work. Just plug in.

Wow, thank you for the quick response. Really though? That's great. I thought for sure it wouldn't work unless I turned off my wireless radio. So you are saying that my main router will still assign a plugged in device a separate ip addy within the DHCP sever range in exactly the same manner as it would if the connection were done over wifi? I thought because the incoming connection is made to a lan port and not the wan port it would not continue to pass signal out of a separate lan port on to another device.

Wow, thank you for the quick response. Really though? That's great. I thought for sure it wouldn't work unless I turned off my wireless radio. So you are saying that my main router will still assign a plugged in device a separate ip addy within the DHCP sever range in exactly the same manner as it would if the connection were done over wifi? I thought because the incoming connection is made to a lan port and not the wan port it would not continue to pass signal out of a separate lan port on to another device.

Sorry, even reading my own response seems confusing to me, LOL. What I was trying to say is that I thought since my AP is receiving its signal from the Main router via a LAN port to LAN port ethernet connection and the WAN port is unused in my AP that my AP would not be able to take the incoming signal and transmit it out through another LAN port and on to another device (computer or 360, etc...) however I need ask no further as Tim has never given me an incorrect response. Thanks again Tim :)

Did you get it working correctly / what was your setup?

Did you get this working correctly? I've been trying to setup something similar and and could use some guidance. I'm also using a 3700 as my wireless router and am trying to configure a second 3700 as an AP to connect my HTPC, PS3, etc. to through the LAN ports. I've been having trouble correctly getting the unit set up as an AP.

I tested this myself with a couple of Dlink routers using the method Tim posted here and it seemed to work fine. The DHCP server has to be turned off on the AP and, once you do that, the DHCP server on the primary router assigns IP addresses just fine to computers plugged into the AP (or connected to it by wireless).

Dave