What's new

Is my potential MoCA setup correct?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Momar89

New Around Here
Thinking of installing some MoCA adapters to put an AP in the upstairs for better reception. Would my wiring diagram work? Where would I put the first MoCA adapter, in between the splitter and the cable modem? Thanks. https://imgur.com/a/gcNDMJk

gcNDMJk

Thinking of installing some MoCA adapters to put an AP in the upstairs for better reception. Would my wiring diagram work? Where would I put the first MoCA adapter, in between the splitter and the cable modem? Thanks. https://imgur.com/a/gcNDMJk

gcNDMJk
The first MOCA adapter would be installed nearby your cable modem and router. The first adapter would have the F-port connected to the coaxial using another splitter (or some MOCA devices have a built in splitter and have two F-fittings/ coaxial connectors so a splitter isn't needed ) and then an Ethernet cable is run from the MOCA device to a LAN port on your router.

The first MOCA adapter would be installed nearby your cable modem and router. The first adapter would have the F-port connected to the coaxial using another splitter (or some MOCA devices have a built in splitter and have two F-fittings/ coaxial connectors so a splitter isn't needed ) and then an Ethernet cable is run from the MOCA device to a LAN port on your router.

So I could split the current line going into the cable modem to the first MoCA adapter?

So I could split the current line going into the cable modem to the first MoCA adapter?
Yes if the MOCA adapter does not have a built in dual ports/spliter you will need to install a splitter. Be sure it will pass MOCA which means it needs to be able to handle frequencies upto to 2 Ghz.

The "PoE" MoCA filter would optimally be installed on the input of the main/initial splitter, rather than in-line with coax connecting from the MoCA filter to the initial split. (This is to maximize the performance benefit, rather than for security purposes... though this approach can also improve MoCA security depending on the filter's final location.)

Your planned setup can be simplified by using a MoCA adapter with a RF pass-through port, such as the Motorola MM1000, allowing you to connect the cable modem to the MoCA adapter's pass-through port rather than using a splitter to connect both the MoCA adapter and modem to the coax plant. Further, because MoCA adapters use an internal diplexer to filter/direct signals, the signal passed to the modem will be slightly stronger than if a splitter were used --- along with isolating the modem from MoCA signals, and vice versa.

Is the “TV/STB Out” port on the Actiontec ECB6200 different than the port on the MM1000? When I tried hooking up my cable modem to the extra port on the ECB6200, the modem would fail to sync and reported a very low power signal.

edit: Nevermind, seems I had an issue with one particular cable.

Last edited:

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!