What's new

Is there a Wireless booster? Want to Have wireless out in garage?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I have a 100 AMP Sub panel in the garage, About a 100 ft distance from shop to home. I know nothing about this stuff and I am just really confused. I am looking for something easy that works well.

I have a 100 AMP Sub panel in the garage, About a 100 ft distance from shop to home. I know nothing about this stuff and I am just really confused. I am looking for something easy that works well.
buy these or equivalent from a different manufacturer - several are sold on Newegg.com. Or at Fry's. Or Amazon.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704165

If it proves unreliable, return it for refund and get the bridge pair recommended above. We'll help you.

Last edited:
In this case I'd go with Steve's suggestion. Since it is a 100amp subpanel, that means it is getting fed with both phases, which makes it a little easier to work things out as to what outlets to plug both ends in to (as you probably are only going to have to try on the garage end to see which outlet gets you the best transmision speeds).

Only serious issue would be if the garage had seperate service from your house. Subpanel off your main should work fine and might actually work better than just a feeder circuit.

Odds are good it'll work pretty well and less hassle, cost and setup than doing wireless bridges between. It should be more than fast enough for normal internet connectivity (at least 20+Mbps unless there is something funky going on with your wiring).

Last edited:
10Mbps should be plenty to stream HD netflix and playgames. 12Mbps is the max Netflix requires for its highest level of HD. Super HD and 4k Netflix requires more than that, but the minimum 1080p level Netflix requires is 7Mbps, IIRC. Most online games don't require much. Depending on the game, from about .5-4Mbps is the general range.

As I mentioned, I'd place odds on you getting at least a nice stable 20Mbps using the powerline adapters and possibly better than that. Which should be plenty to stream even Netflix super HD and play games.

Can you guys tell me how these Power line adapters Work? What all do i need. My router is in my basement and everything is wireless, nothing is hooked to teh router.

Ideally you would run cat5 cable to the garage. In a trench (buryable grade) or overhead. In lieu of that cable, the power line adaptor pair substitute for that cable.

Power line adapters convert cat5 ethernet cable data to radio frequencies (RF) that flow on the home power wiring. Two units exchange data as RF messages at high speed.

To connect them, you plug each of the pair into a wall outlet. Then in the house you run a cat5 cable from a spare port on your router, and into the power line unit. In the garage you run a cable from the power line unit there into either a PC's ethernet port and/or an ethernet switch for multiple connections and/or a WiFi access point (AP) such as the inexpensive ASUS RT-N12. The AP creates a new WiFi coverage bubble.

This will probably work. The nemesis of power line units is if you plug one into an outlet that has a plug strip which contains so-called surge protectors. This tends to attenuate the RF. Some other things also attenuate. So in some cases a bit of trial and error is needed to avoid things that attenuate- at both locations.

click on product tour
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833704165

Last edited:
Can you guys tell me how these Power line adapters Work? What all do i need. My router is in my basement and everything is wireless, nothing is hooked to teh router.

You plug an Ethernet cable from the router to a power line adapter. Plug the power line adapter directly into an electrical socket. With the other power line adapter you go to where ever you need internet and plug it into the wall and plug the Ethernet cable to what ever you need to have internet. This can be a laptop or even a switch or another router to extend your network. Once they are set up and both plugged into electrical sockets you must sync them to each other. Google and youtube are your best sources for info. They are very easy to set up.

You plug an Ethernet cable from the router to a power line adapter. Plug the power line adapter directly into an electrical socket. With the other power line adapter you go to where ever you need internet and plug it into the wall and plug the Ethernet cable to what ever you need to have internet. This can be a laptop or even a switch or another router to extend your network. Once they are set up and both plugged into electrical sockets you must sync them to each other. Google and youtube are your best sources for info. They are very easy to set up.
i think you posted the same thing I did.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!

Staff online