What's new

Issue with network drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

corupt_undead

New Around Here
So I have been wracking my brain with this for a few weeks now. My network drive works perfect for everything except my windows computer. Every time I reboot / turn on my computer my network drive no longer works as it should. I am still able to connect through FTP and I can view it on my tablet, Mac and cell phone. The temporary fix action that I have found that is consistent is rebooting the router. Once this is done my network mapping comes back on my windows pc. I am currently running fw 374.39.

Thank you all in advance.

I was having the same problem so instead of mapping a network drive I just made a new shortcut on my desktop to the drives network location and it works better.

I believe my problem stemmed from Windows trying to mount the network drive before my network card has fully initialized.

Here is a solution Ive found but havent yet tried:

run regedit.exe

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ SYSTEM\ CurrentControlSet\ Control\ NetworkProvider\
Set or create a DWORD
RestoreConnection = 0

Problem solved, the mapped drives will not connect until you access them for the first time.

Last edited:
Mapped drives showing up as disconnected is, as you say yourself, a windows issue more than a router issue. I map several server shares on my laptop and they show up as disconnected until I connect to them.

I've just added the RestoreConnection = 0 dword and I'm ready for reboot. :rolleyes:

I attempted using the registry edit that you had mentioned but this did not work for me. Instead I went into the properties of my NIC and poked around a little. I found a setting named "Wait for Link." This was defaulted to Auto, so I went ahead and switched that over to On instead. After testing for a bit this looks to be working and has fixed my issue.

Thank you all for the help. Might not have fixed the issue I was having, but at least it got me thinking in a different direction that I was earlier. :)