What's new

Just got the RT-AC68W

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adibee

New Around Here
Hi all just got the Asus RT-AC68W router. Noticed the packaging is a little different from the black one. Also this is replacing the Linksys WRT1900AC. Hopefully I wont get alot of problems that I have been hearing about around. I havent flashed it with merlin yet, trying to see how the stock firmware is for now.

I don't mean this in a snarky way... but... Why?

As an ower of the 68, I don't really see a market for it... If you want reasonably priced AC, get the 66 for cheaper. If you want to pay $200+ for a router, get the 87... no?

As an ower of the 68, I don't really see a market for it... If you want reasonably priced AC, get the 66 for cheaper. If you want to pay $200+ for a router, get the 87... no?

I actually got it for an awesome deal bundled with a Motorola SB6141. I was thinking about the 87 but as I had a bad experience with the WRT1900AC just did'nt want to take a chance with a new product :(.

May I ask why you didn't follow your own advice ? You got a 68 in stead of the ac66?

I did the exact same thing. I bought the Linksys WRT1900AC and had nothing but problems. Returned it and got the RT-AC68U and haven't had any issues out of it. I'm running the Merlin firmware (which is, more or less, basically Asus's own firmware). Been very happy with it so far since I bought it two weeks ago.

Only one bump in the road with it. Apparently, it doesn't play nice with ZoneAlarm. So I switched to a different software firewall and everything's peachy now.

Last edited:
Getting is ac87U at this point is being willing to be a beta tester for a while. The router just came out, not even available everywhere (can't find it myself in canada). The AC68U has been out since a while and we do have relative stable firmware right now and it's a good router. I had issues with mine but it ended up being faulty. Replaced it with another one and everytrhing has been running well on my side so far but I too only had my AC68U since about 2 weeks now.

I did the exact same thing. I bought the Linksys WRT1900AC and had nothing but problems. Returned it and got the RT-AC68U and haven't had any issues out of it. I'm running the Merlin firmware (which is, more or less, basically Asus's own firmware). Been very happy with it so far since I bought it two weeks ago.

Only one bump in the road with it. Apparently, it doesn't play nice with ZoneAlarm. So I switched to a different software firewall and everything's peachy now.

Exactly I had high hopes for the WRT1900 but spending so much money on a router that will work ok for a few days and crap out is just not acceptable. I think it would be great when there would be aftermarket FW for it. I really liked the GUI though. It was working great for a week but then everything went downhill. I used to lag alot in games and the router seemed unstable.

Getting is ac87U at this point is being willing to be a beta tester for a while. The router just came out, not even available everywhere (can't find it myself in canada). The AC68U has been out since a while and we do have relative stable firmware right now and it's a good router. I had issues with mine but it ended up being faulty. Replaced it with another one and everytrhing has been running well on my side so far but I too only had my AC68U since about 2 weeks now.

Thats the main reason I didnt get the AC87, after using the WRT1900 which is fairly new I really did'nt want to be a beta tester for another new device lol