What's new

Just upgraded to the RT-N66U and a EA-N66 and it feels like a downgrade

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Diakos

New Around Here
Hi All

I just upgraded from a first gen Airport Extreme to a RT-N66U (3.0.0.3.112), I am using a EA-N66 (1.0.1.5c) as an Ethernet adapter for my PC (win7 64bit)

My internet speeds are fine (max out for what my ISP provides). Until I try to copy something via WLAN. My WLAN speeds are shocking.

Was getting around 4MB/s. Now when I try play a video file from my media server, it runs at about 80KB/s or everything locks up.

There is also now a significant lag when I RDP to the media server.

I have tried both 2.4GHZ and the 5GHZ frequency.
My modem is in full bridge mode, all my router settings are default.

I'm really not sure what to try, I know better speeds are achievable as for one glorious minute my transfer to the media server got up to 19MB/s.

At the moment I have no other devices connected. The speeds i'm getting in my WLAN feel are around the same speed my ISP caps my uploads at.

Last edited:
QoS is broken in Asus's firmware. Did you try the same test with QoS disabled?

I would also recommend downgrading the firmware to 3.0.0.3.108 - that version is more stable than the build 112 you are using. IPv6 is one of the things that's completely broken in build 112.

Hi All,

Thanks so much for reply, appreciate the help.

The Authentication Method is: WPA-Auto-Personal

WPA Encryption is: TKIP+AES

Qos: Off

I will try a downgraded firmware.

I use WPA2-Personal as WPA2 is a little more secure than WPA. The WPA2-Personal already uses AES for the encryption.

I use WPA2-Personal as WPA2 is a little more secure than WPA. The WPA2-Personal already uses AES for the encryption.

And if I'm not mistaken, you need WPA2 + AES if you want to use the 450 Mbits capabilities of your router and EA-N66 interface.

Thanks for all the replies
I downgraded the firmware and it worked great for like 20mins getting up to 18MB/s then all of a sudden back down to 80KB/s.

I've changed the encryption to WPA2-Persoanl + AES as well. No improvement.

So it looks like its the Ethernet adapter the ASUS EA-N66.
I guess I'll have to wait for a firmware update
Thanks everyone for their help

Disable TKIP if you are using it as that will limit your speed to 11b/g throughput as TKIP isn't supported for wireless N speeds

To anyone interested, I found the problem to be with a windows 7 setting and not the Router or the Ethernet Adapter.

All I had to do was disable TCP/IPv6.

Man - I have the same problem and that doesn't fix it

I have been having the EXACT same issue as originally described, and I have a Win 7 Ultimate x64 box that I use as my file server, and if I RDP into it over wifi, even with 144mbps connections, I get horrible stutter on video playbacks, really horrible lags and even screen redraws timeout in the RDP client. I also try to watch a divx off an SMB share on my laptop and it loads just fine, but then as it starts to play, it throttles down so much that it will stop the video because of data disconnect. I've tried every single setting imaginable, including (and this is my current config):

IPv6 disabled on all pc's
WPA2+AES
Mac Restricted Wifi with hardware access table for all my devices
5ghz disabled because range was terrible through the 3 floors in my house

Ironically, my 2 WDTV Live players, that are both hardwired to the Asus, never experience a single burp in performance and can stream 1080p mkv and even Blu-Ray discs over my physical LAN, but my laptop can't play a simple DIVX without dying mid-stream.

I'm ready to throw this thing in the junk cause I can't get it to work the way I expected it to. I had ditched a top of the line Buffalo wifi router for this thing, and I've had terrible performance.

Currently, i"m using the 3.0.0.4.246.19 (Merlin build) firmware, so I doubt it's the firmware or there'd be a bunch of posts over at DD-WRT and the Asus forum.