What's new

Knot Resolver vs unbound?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

knot replaces BIND as a reference implementation...

unbound is still a very good choice, as many know the mechanics and work with it...

Any thoughts on Knot Resolver (https://www.knot-resolver.cz/) vs unbound?
I looked at these 2 recently, I found kresd doesn't recurse through certain records as you might expect.
For example, with a CNAME pointing to a record in different DNS domain, kresd only returns the CNAME, it doesn't then recursively lookup what that record resolves to on the next DNS server (at least when I last checked - a year or so back I suppose)

unbound is one of the 2 DNS software implementations documented for Red Hat 9 (bind being the other) - it's agood choice 👍

Yes, forwarder and it does what is needed very well. Replacing it with resolver has pros and cons. Unbound is an available add-on for Asuswrt-Merlin firmware, but not necessarily better for the specific task. What was broken in Dnsmasq and needed fixing by replacing it with Unbound?

Your ISP knows exactly where you connect by IP address and still has quite accurate browsing history of your account. This "privacy" is about the same as using their own DNS servers with the difference your local DNS resolution is actually much slower until your own cache is build up.