What's new

LAN to LAN Router Tests

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Seedillume

New Around Here
As I read the wireless router tests, I noticed that routing performance is always tested, but LAN to LAN switching isn't tested. Of course, I understand that they are ROUTER tests. However, I was wondering why the decision is made not to test LAN to LAN switching. Does it usually perform equivalent to a standard switch?

There would be no useful information provided by doing a LAN to LAN test. The Ethernet ports are connected to a switch chip, which does its job with no involvement of the routing portion of the product.

Yes, that's why I mentioned, 'that it IS a ROUTER test.' However, I was wondering if the switching performance on gigbit routers were primarily the same on ALL gigabit routers and switches? After all, a lot of routers have 100mbps WANs (rightfully so) while having gigabit switches on the LAN side. While others have gigbit on all ports. If a router with gigbit WAN has a throughput of 106mbps (Belkin N1 Vision), does this mean that LAN gigbit switching would suffer too?

Thanks for the response.

Last edited: