What's new

large downloads drop when firewall keyword/URL filtering is active

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

chrisd

New Around Here
Hi,
I have an Asus RT-68P router with Merlin 380.62_1 installed. When I activate in the firewall settings the keyword and URL filtering, the router will drop large downloads! Meaning, when you're on a connected client (wireless or eth) and start a large file download - eg. 150MB - the download gets cut off a few MB in it. Once you switch off the filters - all is fine and works.
Has anyone seen/experienced the same?
Thanks

Last time I used Firewall Url Filtering, it castrated my ISP download speeds only 4 filters drop my 100mbit to about 60mbit and 34+ dropped it to like 30mbit, I would not be surprised if the 2 are some how related.

Turn it off returned speed

Hi,
I have an Asus RT-68P router with Merlin 380.62_1 installed. When I activate in the firewall settings the keyword and URL filtering, the router will drop large downloads! Meaning, when you're on a connected client (wireless or eth) and start a large file download - eg. 150MB - the download gets cut off a few MB in it. Once you switch off the filters - all is fine and works.
Has anyone seen/experienced the same?
Thanks
What keywords are you filtering on? If the pattern shows up anywhere in the file, it will kill it. Also, you may be surprised at what text is buried in files :) Try setting a random string as the keyword and see if it completes.

Last time I used Firewall Url Filtering, it castrated my ISP download speeds only 4 filters drop my 100mbit to about 60mbit and 34+ dropped it to like 30mbit
Keywork/URL filters are VERY resource intensive since they are doing packet inspections through netfilter. That it can impact performance is not surprising, especially on a single core MIPS based router (your sig indicates an AC66).

I think one of your filters contain somethings that are picked up from the file.
as I use the url filter since the beginning and have about 35 plus and have never had it kill a download. tho I mostly just download zips and iso files.

What keywords are you filtering on? If the pattern shows up anywhere in the file, it will kill it. Also, you may be surprised at what text is buried in files :) Try setting a random string as the keyword and see if it completes.

Keywork/URL filters are VERY resource intensive since they are doing packet inspections through net filter. That it can impact performance is not surprising, especially on a single core MIPS based router (your sig indicates an AC66).

I expected there to be hit to performance butt not such huge hit even on single core, my old netgear I used for my DSL I used firewall filters and even with 20 filters it didnt have such a huge hit to performance

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!