What's new

Large home gigabit internet, advice for hardware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tomplatz

New Around Here
I am blessed to own a 6000 sq ft home, 2 story and have gigabit internet available. Currently i use an r7000 as base with an r6400 linked by ethernet. Coverage is fair, many deadspots. Speed is also fair except when running from modem to pc.

my proposed solutions

1. Orbi mesh solution
2. Commercial grade system: luxul
3. hire a professiomal

Thoughts? i want to exploit the gigabit speed housewide. Thank you

Thoughts? i want to exploit the gigabit speed housewide. Thank you
The only safe way to have gigabit internet all over your house is installing gigabit cabling all over it (as I have all over my flat - 2 Gbit sockets in each room): then you can add WLAN access points where wireless is needed and cable connection where gigabit is preferred! :rolleyes:

Do you already have more ethernet already wired in the house? if so I'd recommend more access points in the dead zones. Since you'd be talking several nodes, a mesh system (that supports ethernet backhaul) might be preferable to manage all the nodes.

If you don't already have ethernet wired to multiple rooms, then yuck.

I have the Cisco small business WAPs in my smaller house, 3300 sq ft. They scale real well and are easy to install. You need at least an Ethernet gig connection to connect them. I don't have true gig internet so there is a limit for me. The newer Cisco WAPs have multiple gig Ethernet ports so I would say they should be close. The downside is you need multiple gig Ethernet ports for each WAP to support them. If you limit yourself to 1 gig Ethernet port it will be easier to install but not future proof.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!