What's new

Latest 384.3 firmware create erronous Asus Guest Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hullio

New Around Here
So I have found a security issue with the latest 384.3 release. If someone else has already documented this issue or there is another post about it, sorry it's a Sunday and had a little bit of Wine. This error was found with two RT-AC68Us. The first was updated with the latest firmware and set as a standard router. The other was set as a media bridge. Using the default menus to create a media bridge leads to two Wireless SSIDs being created by the media bridge. Asus and Asus_5G_Guest1. The Asus SSID cannot be joined because a key is required, and who the hell knows what that is. However, the Asus_5G_Guest1 is an open network. Someone can join and access YOUR network.

If anyone else has seen this please let me know how they fixed it. Presently, my only solution is to turn off the 2nd Asus RT-AC68U. Bummer.

So I have found a security issue with the latest 384.3 release. If someone else has already documented this issue or there is another post about it, sorry it's a Sunday and had a little bit of Wine. This error was found with two RT-AC68Us. The first was updated with the latest firmware and set as a standard router. The other was set as a media bridge. Using the default menus to create a media bridge leads to two Wireless SSIDs being created by the media bridge. Asus and Asus_5G_Guest1. The Asus SSID cannot be joined because a key is required, and who the hell knows what that is. However, the Asus_5G_Guest1 is an open network. Someone can join and access YOUR network.

If anyone else has seen this please let me know how they fixed it. Presently, my only solution is to turn off the 2nd Asus RT-AC68U. Bummer.

Are both AC68Us running the same latest/AiMesh firmware? If not, that may be required since AiMesh firmware is so different.

And, did you factory default reset after installing the latest/AiMesh firmware? That is required, particularly since the AiMesh firmware is so different.

OE

Both units were updated to the latest firmware, and both units were factory default reset. I even tried the 2nd unit out as a regular router, made sure guest network was off, and then changed the mode of it to media bridge. If you have the chance, get a 2nd one and run the same test. How do we report bugs to the firmware developers? Is this the only place?

Both units were updated to the latest firmware, and both units were factory default reset. I even tried the 2nd unit out as a regular router, made sure guest network was off, and then changed the mode of it to media bridge. If you have the chance, get a 2nd one and run the same test. How do we report bugs to the firmware developers? Is this the only place?

Try the Administration - Feedback tab in the router GUI.

OE

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!