What's new

Least expensive wired-only gigabit router? (TP-Link Festa FR205? Others?)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Bill_Stewart

Occasional Visitor
I use a separate VLAN and network ID for the LAN side of my DSL modem. (Why? Because assigning the LAN side of the DSL modem an address on my "main" network does not work: The LAN side of the DSL modem is not pingable and results in weird connectivity problems. The fix was to put the LAN side of the DSL router on a separate VLAN and network ID. The DSL modem is in transparent bridge mode.)

Currently I use an old TP-Link TL-R402M wired router to route between my "main" network and the network on the LAN side of the DSL modem, but I want to replace it because A) It's way past end-of-life and B) it's not gigabit (it's a potential future bottleneck).

TLDR: I'm looking for the least expensive wired-only gigabit router that accepts static IP addresses on both the WAN and LAN interfaces.

From a quick bit of research, it looks like the TP-Link Festa FR205 will meet this requirement.

Questions:

1) Has anyone used the FR205 that can comment on it?

2) Any other suggestions?

Thanks!