What's new

Wired router with VPN performance similar to Ax88u Pro?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Vieux

New Around Here
Hi,

I have an AC86U with disabled wifi that I’m using with unifi AP.

I have 1Gb/s fiber and get 800mb/s on vpn (openvpn on the router, latest Merlin firmware)

I’m looking to replace the AC86U with a wired router…
I expected to easily get something as powerful but cheaper, but it seems every wired model I find is slower. For example: Tp-link ER605 v2, which is often suggested here, is shown as being limited to 21mb/s 😬

I could get the AX88U Pro and turn off wifi… but I hate paying that much for features I will disable.

Any suggestion that would fit the bill?

Thanks!

I have 1Gb/s fiber and get 800mb/s on vpn (openvpn on the router, latest Merlin firmware)

No, you don't get 800Mbps on OpenVPN. This CPU can do about 250Mbps. If you have IPv6 enabled what you get is called IPv6 leak.

I’m looking to replace the AC86U with a wired router…

Want to play beta tester of a new product? The same CPU as your RT-AC86U wired only Gigabit router from Asus:

Last edited:
Hmmmm… IPv6 is disabled
IMG_1257.jpeg

Speed test done on the router
IMG_1255.jpeg

Every leak test I’ve tried showed no problem.

I’m connected to Mullvad with default settings from their config files.
IMG_1256.jpeg

Would love to learn what is wrong with my setup if that speed is not possible on vpn with my hardware…

You perhaps test your WAN interface, not VPN. Test from a client routed through VPN instead. BCM4906 CPU can't do this speed on OpenVPN. For close to Gigabit OpenVPN you need appliance with x86 CPU, something like Intel i5/i7 or multithreaded OpenVPN on something like pfSense Plus on supported hardware.

Aaaah… That would make sense.

Here’s the speed I get on wifi
IMG_1258.jpeg

And here’s was I get from a wired client:
IMG_1259.jpeg

I feel silly 🤪

For close to Gigabit OpenVPN you need appliance with x86 CPU, something like Intel i5/i7 or multithreaded OpenVPN on something like pfSense Plus on supported hardware.

What about Wireguard?
Not that I want that full 1Gb/s speed while on VPN… If it wasn’t for the AC86U being EOL, I would just keep using it.

An appliance with x86 CPU (protectli or minipc from aliexpress?) would cost just as much as the AX88U… I might have to get my feet wet an try something like Vilfo or opnsense/pfsense

Thanks for the heads up on that speed test 😉

If your RT-AC86U is working well - keep using it. RT-AX88U Pro won't give you much of VPN speed upgrade. The same CPU core, but 2.0GHz instead of 1.8GHz. WireGuard - only if supported by your VPN provider. It's NAT acceleration incompatible so around 400Mbps, some folks reported around 500Mbps. Some public VPN servers won't give you high speed anyway, server load and bandwidth dependent. I don't know what's the VPN hype lately. Seems like paying for promises is getting popular.