What's new

Link Rate won't exceed 65Mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bru20

Occasional Visitor
I'll preface by saying I have read the stickies. Googled all I can about wireless networks and speeds, etc. I understand there are limitations but I truly think there must be a problem with my set up. I'm sorry this is so long.

I have a new laptop. It is Wireless N capable. It has a Broadcom wireless adapter. The mfg claims it is a new adapter (not draft N) and is capable of obtaining Wireless N speeds (i.e. up to 300 Mbps).

I purchased a Netgear WNR2000v3 router. When the laptop is connected wirelessly the Link Rate as seen in Wireless Connection Status never exceeds 65Mbps. Never. And as the signal degrades as I move farther from the router the Link Rate drops. So even when it is at 65Mbps I am maybe really geting 35Mbps. From a wireless N laptop and router? Now to why I know there has to be something wrong.

The wired connection to the same router gets the expected Link Rate of 100Mbps so it is not the modem limiting speed. When I connect to a public Wi-Fi network the best I have seen is 72Mbps. So that tells me the card is not limited to 65Mbps as was suggested due to there being a flood of old Broadcom adapters with that limit.

It also tells me that there has to be something in the laptop itself limiting the Link Rate or else I would surely see higher than 72Mbps (although I know that still wouldn't mean that high of a number in reality).

The signal I get on the laptop is weak. When I first log on it shows 4 bars even when right next to the router. After a minute or so it moves to 5 bars. But as soon as I move the laptop more than 20 feet or so away (same floor) it starts losing signal. Going upstairs even though I am right over the router brings me to 2 or 3 bars. There is nothing in my house to interfere with the signal.

When I look to see other networks I see only two or three even though the neighborhood is saturated with them. The laptop's sensitivity is too weak to pick them up. I had a different laptop for a few days and it easily saw many more networks and it's signal was much more strong and stable.

So my conclusion is there is something wrong with the laptop. Whether it is the adapter or the antenna or both.

Does this seems reasonable or is there really something related to my router? I have spent hours on the phone with Netgear and no tweaks to settings changed a thing. Not changing channels, not anything.

Someone said it sounds like a classic case of the router not being Wireless N only but I have been assured it is not in mixed mode and I would think the public spot I was in was also only Wireless N.

This has really got me upset. Even forgetting about not being able to exceed a 65Mbps Link Rate, a laptop that I can't even take upstairs without having the signal degrade, or go out in my yard is useless to me. And I know that is not how a wireless laptop should function.

All you need to do is take the laptop somewhere else and try connecting to another network.

Could you look at the wireless connection properties and report the exact Broadcom model number of the adapter, please?

All you need to do is take the laptop somewhere else and try connecting to another network.

Could you look at the wireless connection properties and report the exact Broadcom model number of the adapter, please?
I know it's hard to find in my long post but I did go to a public Wi-Fi spot and the best it did was 72Mbps. At another (McDonalds) which had Wireless G it did the 54Mbps but it only got 4 bars for signal. And this is inside a small McDonalds.

The adapter just says Broadcom 802.11n but the computer manufacturer claims it is Foxconn WLAN Broadcom 43227 2x2 b,g,n.

I found that the Netgear router uses Atheros technology so maybe that is part of the issue. Not matched up. The other laptop I had used an Atheros adapter and it got better reception but I can't say what Link Rate it reported.

What Mode did you set your Netgear router to use?

Mode. This field determines which data communications protocol is used. You can choose
– Up To 54 Mbps. Legacy mode, for compatibility withthe slower 802.11b and 802.11g
wireless devices.
– Up To 145 Mbps. Neighbor Friendly mode, for reduced interference with neighboring
wireless networks. Provides two transmission streams with different data on the same
channel at the same time, but also allows 802.11b and 802.11g wireless devices. This is
the default mode.
– Up To 300 Mbps. Performance mode, using channel expansion to achieve the 300 Mbps
data rate. The WNR2000 router will use the channel you selected as the primary channel
and expand to the secondary channel (primarychannel +4 or –4) to achieve a 40 MHz
frame-by-frame bandwidth. The WNR2000 router will detect channel usage and will
disable frame-by-frame expansion if the expansion

I would find it very unusual if a public AP had their wireless set to only N.

What Mode did you set your Netgear router to use?
The router (WNR2000v3) now has Up to 150 Mbps as the default. I then changed to Up to 300 Mbps. No difference. Only 65Mbps with either setting.

If someone wants to tell me that seeing a Wireless Connection Status of 65Mbps when using a Wireless N router with a Wireless N adapter card with no other devices connected and no interference while only being one foot away is acceptable, great. But too many others have told me this is a problem. And the performance as well tells me something is not right.

The laptop manufacturers say I should see 300Mbps (again I know this isn't the actual connection speed). The router manufacturer says I should see 300Mbps. But I am not. I'm not even seeing 150Mbps. Not even 72Mbps except at a public Wi-Fi network. I see 65Mbps or lower.

We've troubleshooted the router and by only seeing 65Mbps at home and 72Mbps at a public Wi-Fi spot I think I've ruled out the router. So that only leaves the laptop, either the adapter, antenna or both.

A link rate of 65 Mbps indicates single stream N. The Foxconn adapter appears to be spec'd as a dual stream adapter. My guess is that you have a broken adapter or perhaps an antenna lead disconnected.

In order to rule out the router, get a known good notebook WITH A DUAL STREAM ADAPTER and see whether it works any differently. If the known good notebook works, then it is the notebook.

I opened up the laptop and both antenna leads are connected. Don't see any obvious problems with the antenna leads themselves. Of course I can't tell anything about the card.

I guess I will return the laptop and try another.

My final question, if I am able see a Link Rate of 72Mbps at the public Wi-Fi network does that still indicate a single stream N?

Because if it doesn't then thinking its a bad adapter may not be right. Thanks.

My final question, if I am able see a Link Rate of 72 Mbps at the public Wi-Fi network does that still indicate a single stream N?
Yes. See the MCS table, MCS index 7 line.

As I said, to positively ID the laptop as the culprit, you should try a known good dual-stream device with your router.

In the table when they refer to modulation would that be what my modem reports? Because I have 16QAM for upstream. Which would correspond to lower Mbps. Could this be the problem? Someone did say it could be my modem limiting Link Rate. But I do get 100Mbps from the wired connection so I thought that ruled it out.

Geesh and I just restored the computer because after opening it up and basically doing nothing I was getting LR of 5.5 Mbps.

The modulation in the table refers to what the wireless adapter is using.

I would return the computer.

A lot of these newer laptops are only N150 and some are N300. If your getting link speed 65 to 72mbps still not bad. Outside your environment might have better WiFi access points most of them might throttle down the bandwidth speeds so you might not get a good ideal to what your might be getting.

Like my newest laptop from ACER/Gateway max out at 65-72mbps. Still testing shows pretty much I get out of the full desktop over the WAN. Good enough. Whatever you get from your ISP that your paying for you have to factor that in and your WiFi Router and home modem. These you have to factor in.

Also upgrade that laptop WiFi NiC driver if the maker of the laptop as an update.
Same for the WiFi Router you have.

A lot of these newer laptops are only N150 and some are N300. If your getting link speed 65 to 72mbps still not bad. Outside your environment might have better WiFi access points most of them might throttle down the bandwidth speeds so you might not get a good ideal to what your might be getting.

Like my newest laptop from ACER/Gateway max out at 65-72mbps. Still testing shows pretty much I get out of the full desktop over the WAN. Good enough. Whatever you get from your ISP that your paying for you have to factor that in and your WiFi Router and home modem. These you have to factor in.

Also upgrade that laptop WiFi NiC driver if the maker of the laptop as an update.
Same for the WiFi Router you have.

I think you may be right. I exchanged the laptop which BTW is a Gateway (Acer) and I get exactly the same LR of 65Mbps. And most interesting this one has an Atheros wireless card, AR5B125. thiggins what can you tell me about this one? Dual stream too I hope. This one also has a different hard drive manufacturer.

So why did Gateway support and also thiggins say the original laptop is capable of full N speeds, i.e. 300Mbps? thiggins even said the Broadcom card that Gateway claims is in the computer is dual stream. So why couldn't I get 150 or even more?

Is it the router? I know the Netgear WNR2000 is not the best but it is N with speeds supposedly up to 300Mbps.

And I do understand about my ISP speed and how that plays in but as I learned it is the connection speed between the laptop and the router that is really my concern.

So how do I factor in my router and my modem which I thought were all N capable?

I guess I've heard so many people say there is a problem that I assumed there was. I knew it could be the router and I think I may return it as well and try something else just to eliminate that possibility.

Sounds like you got the deal from Target right? If so you should be good to go. The router you have might not be working as it should. If you have NE or NV laptop they're pretty good on the WiFi. ACER/Gateway uses better WiFi ANT in their laptops which helps to improve the signal better. Even on the ACER Aspire one really good on WiFi. So I would check out router for Firmware update or might yet switch it out for one of the popular ones here on the forum.

Sounds like you got the deal from Target right? If so you should be good to go. The router you have might not be working as it should. If you have NE or NV laptop they're pretty good on the WiFi. ACER/Gateway uses better WiFi ANT in their laptops which helps to improve the signal better. Even on the ACER Aspire one really good on WiFi. So I would check out router for Firmware update or might yet switch it out for one of the popular ones here on the forum.
Yep. Actually got both Gateway NE and NV from Target. First got the NE and it had the Atheros adapter and I never checked the LR. Returned it for the NV, wanted the larger HD and slightly better CPU.

The first NV had Broadcom wireless and I was disappointed with the range (I felt the NE for the short time I had it was better) and the LR issue (which I guess really isn't an issue) and did an exchange. Second NV has Atheros (also has Toshiba HD vs. Seagate). Have to say I am still a bit unhappy with the signal strength. I have a small two story frame house and upstairs almost directly over the router I lose a bar. Walking out the garage I lose one or two. But I did notice it picks up more nearby networks than the Broadcom did so maybe it is a bit better.

So based on what you say I wonder why the reception on the first NV wasn't so good and even not great on the second. Has to be the router, right? Or I am I being unrealistic with such low priced equipment? I also purchased the Netgear at Target (we get discounts) so maybe I should bring it back. But is it just how the Netgear will work or is it a bad one?

Assuming I go for a different router, out of the inexpensive ($30-50) Linksys, Belkin and Netgears what should I get? Or do I go more expensive, which really wasn't my initial intention with getting the cheap lappy and router. Money is a bit tight but I guess you do get what you pay for ;) .

Well now I'm really confused. The Broadcom which was dual stream always gave me 65Mbps or less with my router. I exchange the laptop and I get a different adapter which is single stream but seems to get better reception. But because it is single stream it will only get what? 150Mbps. But I still only get 65Mbps. It has to be the router, right?

Do I take the laptop back again to get the Broadcom which is dual band and should be better and hope the first one was indeed defective. And get a new router too so I do get the 150 (or 300Mbps).

Or is it all moot and I will never get more than 65Mbps no matter which adapter and router? Or does it even really matter?

Need to resolve this for my own (and wife's) sanity.

I suggested many posts back that you get a known good device that is capable of 130/300 Mbps link rates (dual-stream) and test it with the router. Only that will tell you whether the router is bad.

Single stream devices link at 65 Mbps with the router set to 20 MHz bandwidth mode or auto 20/40 mode. They will get 150 Mbps link rate only if the router is in 40 MHz bandwidth mode. NETGEAR calls these "Up to 130 Mbps" and "Up to 300 Mbps" in its wireless Mode settings.

If you are in an area with many neighboring 2.4 GHz networks and if your router is adhering to spec, it should not switch to 40 MHz mode if it detects a network operating in an interfering channel.

I don't know why the "2x2" Broadcom adapter is linking only at 65 Mbps.

I suggested many posts back that you get a known good device that is capable of 130/300 Mbps link rates (dual-stream) and test it with the router. Only that will tell you whether the router is bad.
Unfortunately I don't have that option.
I don't know why the "2x2" Broadcom adapter is linking only at 65 Mbps.
It also seems as if it should have been at least as good as the 1x1 in reception but it was not. The Atheros is definitely giving me better signal strength.

So my initial thought that is was defective was probably true. Problem is if I do exchange to get the Broadcom equipped laptop and it turns out it really isn't as good as the Atheros (reception and/or LR) then I am stuck. I won't be able to get the Atheros equipped laptop back.

So that brings me back to how much of this really matters in real world application. I know I prefer the better signal strength, but would also like the speeds I should get.

That's the best you going to get out the ACER Gateway on the WiFi side. 65mbps on ISP of 50-65mbps down that's not bad considering it's over WiFi.

Last edited:
That's the best you going to get out the ACER Gateway on the WiFi side. 65mbps on ISP of 50-65mbps down that's not bad considering it's over WiFi.
Now I'm getting even more confused. I'm speaking of connection speed or Link Rate. The speed between the wireless device and other network devices. For transferring files, printing and similar.

As I understood it N is capable of up to 300Mbps. I thought ISP speed which is different doesn't come in to play.

This is how it was explained to me

The speed for the WiFi portion of the WNR2000 is the speed between a wireless device, like a laptop, and your router. This is part of your LAN (Local Area Network). Your router has 4 Ethernet ports that are rated for 100Mbps. This would be the absolute maximum theoretical speed between a computer connected by an Ethernet cable to your router. This has nothing to do with the speed of your internet service. You can set the router to 300Mbps and it will attempt that rate of communication with a wireless device that is in the 802.11n category, assuming the device has enough hardware in the WiFi setup to handle such speeds.

I'm looking for that 300Mbps, or even 150Mbps. Not 65Mbps with a N router.

So now how do you feel about a Link Rate of 65Mbps?

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!