What's new

Link Rate won't exceed 65Mbps

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Now I'm getting even more confused. I'm speaking of connection speed or Link Rate. The speed between the wireless device and other network devices. For transferring files, printing and similar.

As I understood it N is capable of up to 300Mbps. I thought ISP speed which is different doesn't come in to play.

This is how it was explained to me

The speed for the WiFi portion of the WNR2000 is the speed between a wireless device, like a laptop, and your router. This is part of your LAN (Local Area Network). Your router has 4 Ethernet ports that are rated for 100Mbps. This would be the absolute maximum theoretical speed between a computer connected by an Ethernet cable to your router. This has nothing to do with the speed of your internet service. You can set the router to 300Mbps and it will attempt that rate of communication with a wireless device that is in the 802.11n category, assuming the device has enough hardware in the WiFi setup to handle such speeds.

I'm looking for that 300Mbps, or even 150Mbps. Not 65Mbps with a N router.

So now how do you feel about a Link Rate of 65Mbps?

Download from speedguide.net TCP OPTIMIZER and see what your broadband connection for your ISP is set to: Mostly likely it's lower than 10. Set to my what your get from your ISP. Set the settings to optimal.

This app needs to be RUN AS ADMIN make sure you run it into a folder on your laptop. If you don't like the results you can easily restore your Windows defaults back.

If you download the freeware copy of LAN TEST SPEED (do a google search for that one) and run a test from WiFi to WiFi and set the file size to: 150 first see what the reads/writes are.
Then test out 300 and see what the reads/writes are.

Also measure how long it takes to run the task too. Have you downloaded

You are starting to go over my knowledge comfort zone.

I ran TCP analyzer and it shows the same for my wireless laptop and wired desktop. Again I don't understand how anything ISP related comes in to play for Wireless Network Connections Status as displayed by Windows. But here it is. Where do I see the "broadband connection"? Based on this does anything need tweaking?

« SpeedGuide.net TCP Analyzer Results »
Tested on: 2012.09.20 17:56
IP address: xx.xx.xxx.x
Client OS/browser: Windows 7 (Internet Explorer 9.0)

TCP options string: 020405b40103030201010402
MSS: 1460
MTU: 1500
TCP Window: 65700 (multiple of MSS)
RWIN Scaling: 2 bits (2^2=4)
Unscaled RWIN : 16425
Recommended RWINs: 64240, 128480, 256960, 513920, 1027840
BDP limit (200ms): 2628kbps (329KBytes/s)
BDP limit (500ms): 1051kbps (131KBytes/s)
MTU Discovery: ON
TTL: 110
Timestamps: OFF
SACKs: ON
IP ToS: 00000000 (0)

As for LAN TEST SPEED I'm not sure what you mean by "wireless to wireless".

Maybe you can repeat the directions as I lost you with some of your phrasing. Thanks

See the attachments below how LAN SPEED TEST WORKS with WiFi What you see below are from the old ESR-9850 days.. That above your just testing your Network over Internet from that site. There is chart I have to explain more what WiFi is suppose to be showing.. I'll included that also below for you.

Attachments

• 388517902.jpg
    388517902.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 309
  • 388518290.jpg
    388518290.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 275
  • 359654630.jpg
    359654630.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:
The bottom line is there is a problem. I only get 65Mbbps at home and have only seen 72Mbps at a public unsecured g/n network.

What are the odds I have had two bad computers and also a bad router. But what else could it be?

The bottom line is there is a problem. I only get 65Mbbps at home and have only seen 72Mbps at a public unsecured g/n network.

What are the odds I have had two bad computers and also a bad router. But what else could it be?

Chances are that if your first computer linked at 72mbps on a different router, you only have a bad router. I bet the first computer was working fine.

Rule of thumb in networking: Always start with the cheap component and work your way up.

So, LAN cable. Network Card. Switch. Modem. Router. Computer.

You started at the computer side, which just threw in a lot more variables that couldn't be tracked.

Take the router back, get a new one (or different/better model number) and see if that fixes the problem.

But, if you changed out your computer and it now only has one stream, then 65 is probably all you're going to get on the 2.4GHz network. 2.4GHz, if it works the way it's supposed to, will almost always connect at 20MHz. As Tim stated in an earlier post, one stream N at 20MHz will connect at 65. Two Stream will connect at 150, and at 40MHz two stream will connect at 300.

Chances are that if your first computer linked at 72mbps on a different router, you only have a bad router. I bet the first computer was working fine.
Probably correct but I still wonder why this second computer with the single stream card gets a better signal? It picks up networks I never saw on the other computer with the dual stream and my signal strength is better.

And don't forget this computer with the single stream also connected at 72Mbps on the same public network. So what does that mean?

I can exchange this computer and again have dual stream but will I return to poor reception? Which is more important, signal strength or dual stream?

As for the router unless I have the dual stream a new/different router won't tell me much since I will max at 65Mbps with single stream.

Better WiFi router will help you out throughput wise I am showing 150mbps where as I was only getting 65mbps. I am on my ESR600H at the moment.

Probably correct but I still wonder why this second computer with the single stream card gets a better signal? It picks up networks I never saw on the other computer with the dual stream and my signal strength is better.

And don't forget this computer with the single stream also connected at 72Mbps on the same public network. So what does that mean?

I can exchange this computer and again have dual stream but will I return to poor reception? Which is more important, signal strength or dual stream?

As for the router unless I have the dual stream a new/different router won't tell me much since I will max at 65Mbps with single stream.

You're comparing apples and oranges. Signal strength is different than link rate. You can have varying degrees of signal strength at different levels of link rate.

As for seeing more networks, it could be a better card. It could have a lower noise floor with only having to listen to one antenna. There are many different variables you're trying to compare all at once that simply do not easily summarize into one problem.

And just because that single-stream connected at 72mbps on a public wifi doesn't mean anything. they could have been using a 40MHz stream or an older AP that didn't follow WiFi guidelines to force a 40MHz stream. Your WiFi appears to be in a heavy area so I doubt you'll ever see more than 20MHz connection, which is 65mbps.

You need to isolate the variables here. You keep changing laptops and chipsets with different streams and you cannot possibly keep straight what causes what.

Scientific process. Eliminate variables one by one.

Why can't you go out and get a new router to see if it's the problem? Go back to a dual-stream notebook, and switch out the router - that will answer your problem.

Your WiFi appears to be in a heavy area so I doubt you'll ever see more than 20MHz connection, which is 65mbps.
Typical newer subdivision with houses pretty close together.

So any router with 300Mbps capability is probably a waste. I might as well get the N150 or equivalent from another manufacturer.

I've been testing Meraki MR12 300m WiFi Access Point (Cloud Based)

Link Speed is 65m down on 802.11n
Link Quality is 100%

I also use as the master WiFi AP is the ESR600H (non Cloud Based)

Link Speed is 150m down on 802.11n
Link Quality is 100%

These two results or from the same Gateway Laptop deal that the OP was working with.

I have another top of the line Gateway Laptop that gets

Link Speed is 300m down on 802.11n
Link Quality is 100%

It uses a different Atheros WiFI-PCI-E Mini Nic Card. The tablets I own show 65m and the top end tablet shows 72m. Again based on the hardware and such results going to be different.

Now Amazon Kindle Fire HD sports Dual Band 2.4GHz / 5.0GHz with Dual ANT for WiFi 802.11n. Results will be slighty higher by 10% reported so far.

Typical newer subdivision with houses pretty close together.

So any router with 300Mbps capability is probably a waste. I might as well get the N150 or equivalent from another manufacturer.

I think you should do more research here on SNB. You'll find that a lot of those "150N" routers are not WiFi certified, and therefore have no baseline in performance or wireless characteristics. They may not have MIMO or a lot of other things that give N it's "bells and whistles".

If you're that worried about N being useless for you, save some cash and downgrade to a G device if you can find one.

Remember that you get what you pay for, especially in the consumer space.

I've been testing Meraki MR12 300m WiFi Access Point (Cloud Based)

Link Speed is 65m down on 802.11n
Link Quality is 100%

I also use as the master WiFi AP is the ESR600H (non Cloud Based)

Link Speed is 150m down on 802.11n
Link Quality is 100%

These two results or from the same Gateway Laptop deal that the OP was working with.

I have another top of the line Gateway Laptop that gets

Link Speed is 300m down on 802.11n
Link Quality is 100%

It uses a different Atheros WiFI-PCI-E Mini Nic Card. The tablets I own show 65m and the top end tablet shows 72m. Again based on the hardware and such results going to be different.

Now Amazon Kindle Fire HD sports Dual Band 2.4GHz / 5.0GHz with Dual ANT for WiFi 802.11n. Results will be slighty higher by 10% reported so far.

So you are saying it is my router as I assume those devices mentioned are higher quality routers.

What NIC card does your lower priced Gateway have?

So you are saying it is my router as I assume those devices mentioned are higher quality routers.

What NIC card does your lower priced Gateway have?

I own NE56 current one sold Target was $249 it now has 8GB ($23 bucks) it came with 10/100/1000m 802.11n Atheros Mini-PCI-E and NV53

I have this one
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CPs4V5kiv8

But mine has Blue-Ray player in it. WiFi locks-on. Just upgraded it from W7H-64-bit to W7U-64-bit. I also have Network tweaked to the max for it. Found here on http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=7535 by me. I've done same for NE56

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6fzlP33oCXw

I going to get rid of the W7H-64-bit and install W7U-64-bit shortly runs better on these laptops. NE56 with Blue-Ray has a deep contrast and brightness is just as good as my SONY BRAVIA 1080p plus it has the extra Dolby features.

I have no trouble with either one. I also have ACER Aspire Netbook and ASUS Eee PC also Netbook that one has OverClocking Engine and 802.11n. Both a max out 2GB DDR2 and DDR3. I got Windows 8 on the ASUS running now WiFi is streaming but I've tweaked that too.

Better WiFi has extra Buffering better WPU and more MEM in there. It has to factor in. I need DLNA WiFi Router so it can work with my DLNA Media. This one is what I am using for AP I've turned off the Meraki MR12 for a reason. But the EnGenius ESR600H Gigabit Wireless AP has been on since I've it up.

Last edited:
I own NE56 current one sold Target was $249 it now has 8GB ($23 bucks) it came with 10/100/1000m 802.11n Atheros Mini-PCI-E and NV53

Do you have a specific model number for the Atheros card? Mine is ARB125. Otherwise based on the drivers, the Atheros wireless card in my NV56 is most likely the same as the one in your NE56 (which I also had at one time).

Knowing the Atheros is 1x1 single stream. How is it possible for you to exceed 150Mbps connection speed?

And sorry to say you lost me with your "tweaks", way over my head.

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=4101

http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=4266

try WPA2-PSK instead of WPA

Long shot... try setting WPA2-PSK security to your router instead of WPA...
let me know if that worked.
People say that WPA2 is for N and WPA is for the G.

Long shot... try setting WPA2-PSK security to your router instead of WPA...
let me know if that worked.
People say that WPA2 is for N and WPA is for the G.

If only. It's been set with WPA2 since day one. I've learned to live with it.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!