What's new

Linksys Brings Top-End AC Routers To Market

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NETNewb

Occasional Visitor
Hmm, be interesting to see what options are available in the stock firmware on this beast, and if DDWrt will work!
Go to Linksys.com to see both new models, thoughts?

Nice to see the WRT1900AC is old news now shortly after a little over 6 months. They abandoned it pretty fast. Cant deliver 3rd party firmware support as promised and lack up firmware updates in general. No surprise here. Then they have the nerve to just keep on raising the prices. $300 for what looks like to be their new flagship router? GTFO. What is next? $350-$400? Yeah call me sour or a bit butthurt. I just did get my WRT1900AC router maybe like 2-3 months ago. :mad:

Same feature set as other E and EA series routers. E8530 is Qualcomm/Quantenna AC2350, EA9200 is Broadcom XStream AC3200. Nothing new to see here. Move along...

Last edited:
Nice to see the WRT1900AC is old news now shortly after a little over 6 months. They abandoned it pretty fast. Cant deliver 3rd party firmware support as promised and lack up firmware updates in general. No surprise here. Then they have the nerve to just keep on raising the prices. $300 for what looks like to be their new flagship router? GTFO. What is next? $350-$400? Yeah call me sour or a bit butthurt. I just did get my WRT1900AC router maybe like 2-3 months ago. :mad:
So you expect the consumer networking business to stop because you bought a router?

You guys keep buying the stuff, they'll keep making it... and raising prices.

If what you have works for you, be happy.

Same feature set as other E and EA series routers. E8530 is Qualcomm/Quantenna AC2350, E9000 is Broadcom XStream AC3200. Nothing new to see here. Move along...

That's exactly the way I see it. This is the natural evolution of the EA line so that it now includes MU-MIMO and Xstream.

This is them taking the same step Netgear and Asus took, just about 6 months later.

Take a look at the actual product page on the Linksys store.

http://store.linksys.com/linksys-smart-wifi-routers_stcVVcatId551966VVviewcat.htm

The WRT is listed separately from the rest of the EA routers and listed ABOVE them, in bold. From strictly a marketing perspective, it looks to me like they're suggesting the WRT is still their flagship product.

Correct. Linksys is still positioning the WRT1900AC as its flagship. But they are slow to add features.

Be careful on the E8350. It does not have the "Smart" WiFi feature set. If that makes a difference to you.

IMO, Linksys is trying to split the market too finely with three OSes, none of which have a feature set equivalent to ASUS.

I suspect the decision to go with the non "Smart" feature set on the E8350 was more due to the complexity of its two CPU architecture and the E series OS was easier to do. Basically, making lemonade....

As long as the WRT remains stable, I don't really care about anymore features honestly. Maybe a VPN client would be nice.

I'm hoping they do at least one more firmware with performance/stability enhancements since they haven't released anything since July.

So you expect the consumer networking business to stop because you bought a router?

You guys keep buying the stuff, they'll keep making it... and raising prices.

If what you have works for you, be happy.

Not saying that. You can have that kind of attitude since you get the latest and greatest routers sent to you for free. When people actually have to pay like me and many others. Its a bit irritating to have another major new release just slightly past 6 months. Like I said. No 3rd party support as promised, lack of new firmware features added and most of all. Lack of firmware updates in general. 3+ months now going on 4. That is why people are irritated. I am surprised a class action law suit has not been brought up yet. They are essentially selling a product with false advertising saying it supports 3rd party firmware. It does not.

Last edited:
I buy plenty of high tech stuff, Fatty. But I know how to play the game. I always, with rare exception, buy a generation or two behind and usually refurb. I don't expect new firmware or features and don't rely on tech support. And I don't expect products to be future proof. What I buy is what I get. If it doesn't do the job, I return it and get something that does. That's the kind of "attitude" I have.

BTW, I use a couple of year old Linksys E4200 from the Cisco days that works fine. I would only put one of the latest routers into use to see if they are as flaky in use as reports say they are.

EA9200 arrives later today and the E8350 arrives on Thursday. Can't wait to try both routers out.

EA9200 died with in a week. Got a replacement in 24 hours. So far happy with the router.

Many people are still happy with an AC1750 or AC1900 router. I still am happy with my N66. I only have one AC client though, an AC7260 card in my laptop.

I don't think the latest Linksys or AC87 or R7500 or R8000 will offer much improvement for me regarding performance and range. Or am I missing something here?

If the N66 dies what would you advice me? Maybe an AC68 or R7000?

I have no use for a high speed USB port on a router.

Many people are still happy with an AC1750 or AC1900 router. I still am happy with my N66. I only have one AC client though, an AC7260 card in my laptop.

I don't think the latest Linksys or AC87 or R7500 or R8000 will offer much improvement for me regarding performance and range. Or am I missing something here?

AC1900 class is the sweet spot of the market right now. Although if you have a lot of 5 GHz devices in simultaneous use, AC3200 routers are worth a look.

AC1900 class is the sweet spot of the market right now. Although if you have a lot of 5 GHz devices in simultaneous use, AC3200 routers are worth a look.

I am losing track of all these ACnumbers. AC1900 would be an RT-AC68 or R7000?

What would be a good/great AC3200 router? Should I forget the AC2350/2400 routers all together?

Is the RT-AC87 an AC2400? What exactly brings AC3200?

I am losing track of all these ACnumbers. AC1900 would be an RT-AC68 or R7000?

What would be a good/great AC3200 router? Should I forget the AC2350/2400 routers all together?

Is the RT-AC87 an AC2400? What exactly brings AC3200?

If I were looking for a new router now, I'd be looking the wireless-1900AC routers, like the RT-AC68U or R7000. Don't think that I'd bother with the 2400AC or 3200AC routers at this point. Aside from not needing the bandwidth myself, the firmware for these routers isn't really where it needs to be. And there aren't any 4-stream clients that I'm aware of for the 2400AC routers. On the other hand, the 1900AC routers are pretty mature and working well at this point. I went through the hard times of firmware development for the 1900AC routers, and there was a lot of disappointment along the way. But that's in the past, now, and no need to go through that at the present time for the 2400AC and 3200AC routers, in my opinion.

That's my opinion, anyways...go with a 1900AC router. As Tim says above, they're the "sweet spot" in the router lineup at this point.

If I were looking for a new router now, I'd be looking the wireless-1900AC routers, like the RT-AC68U or R7000. Don't think that I'd bother with the 2400AC or 3200AC routers at this point. Aside from not needing the bandwidth myself, the firmware for these routers isn't really where it needs to be. And there aren't any 4-stream clients that I'm aware of for the 2400AC routers. On the other hand, the 1900AC routers are pretty mature and working well at this point. I went through the hard times of firmware development for the 1900AC routers, and there was a lot of disappointment along the way. But that's in the past, now, and no need to go through that at the present time for the 2400AC and 3200AC routers, in my opinion.

That's my opinion, anyways...go with a 1900AC router. As Tim says above, they're the "sweet spot" in the router lineup at this point.

Totally agree. The AC1900 routers for the most part have the best performance while maintaining the best stability. That gives them a slight leg up over the AC1750 class, although I would say it's probably close given the price points.

Hmm,
One is running for a week here no problem so far.