What's new

Linksys E4200v2 and Tomato firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

There is no evidence to support a claim that the BCM4718 is not 802.11n compliant.

Literature produced in 2008 by Broadcom could of course only ever say it is Draft-802.11n compliant.

It is not true that it is necessary for devices produced before the introduction of the 802.11n standard to require hardware or software updates or modifications to conform to the standard.

Nor is there any credible reason to believe that such devices are in any way fundamentally different or inferior to those produced after September 2009.

Are you saying

Hey

We're all here to share and help.

But please don't put words in my mouth. I have said what I am saying. You and anyone can read it. I believe I give good advice that no knowledgable professional would contradict.

Thanks
Rhombus

There is no evidence to support a claim that the BCM4718 is not 802.11n compliant.

Literature produced in 2008 by Broadcom could of course only ever say it is Draft-802.11n compliant.

It is not true that it is necessary for devices produced before the introduction of the 802.11n standard to require hardware or software updates or modifications to conform to the standard.

Nor is there any credible reason to believe that such devices are in any way fundamentally different or inferior to those produced after September 2009.

You have not read and have not comprehended a single post I have previously made. Please, read them one more time, and see that this post is nothign but incorrect and asinine.

Originally Posted by Shikami
Are you saying
Hey

We're all here to share and help.

But please don't put words in my mouth. I have said what I am saying. You and anyone can read it. I believe I give good advice that no knowledgable professional would contradict.

You are taking me out of context. Here is my question to your statment about hardware importance:
In general, in electronics, I personally don't advice any consumer to infer and rely solely on a chipset data and feature set because how the chipset is implemented in practice however frequently varies device to device, with consequent differences in performance and features.
My question in my previous post to refute your claim about knowledge of hardware and its importance.
Are you saying that you should not know if that processor supports instructions that can be necessary for for an application, or how logic can offload a processor to make the system faster, capable, complaint? It is all about the hardware, and will always be.

I speculate from your posts that you do not speak English as a native language and your comprehension of my posts is complicating your refutation.

I am here to gather information and help when ever I can too. But your posts are nothing but contradictory. This needs to be understood by you. I have placed perfect logical questions to you with proof only to have you take me out of context multiple times and with not one single proper reply to refute them.

Shikami, Rhombus,

Ok, guys, let's shut down this discussion before it gets nasty.

Any and all 802.11n products on the market today are made with chipsets that are designed to the released 802.11n spec.

All specs, 802.11n included, have enough wiggle room and ambiguity in them that allow for a wide range of implementations and still be "compliant".

Factory "dumb" Cisco firmware version 2.0.37 build 131047:

FW_E4200_2.0.37.131047

Factory "smart" Cisco firmware version 2.1.39 build 144146:

FW_E4200v2_EA4500_2.1.39.144146.img

Cisco's GPL component build tree (can be used for either 2.0.37 or 2.1.39):

E4200-EA4500_v2.0.37.131047.tar.gz

My GPL component build tree (adds dropbear, rsync, strace, netwatch, and cups):

E4200-EA4500_v2.0.37.131047-cilynx-20130405212654.tar.gz

My latest 2.1.39 (adds dropbear, darkstat) compiled firmware ready to flash:

FW_E4200_2.1.39.145204.wolfteck-201304241842.ssa

Other related stuff and project details:

Hacking the Linksys E4200v2

I'll have them back up next week. I'm in the middle of moving to SF right now and I forgot not to pack the drive containing all the project data. Sorry for the delay!

thank you.
i -stupidly i htink - flashed my device with the v2.0.39 firmware that is cisco connect version, and now i can't log in or set anything, 192.168.1.1 is inaccessible. it gives an ip address of 10.x.x.x with a gateway that is also inaccessible.
what can be done to get into this firmware to revert?

Last edited:
Starting from the top:

You can revert to your previous firmware by unplugging and replugging power a handful of times. The bootloader keeps a count of unsuccessful boots and after a handful, it switches which of the onboard firmware images it tries to load. Don't do it too many times because it'll switch back. Don't let it boot between power cycles or it will reset the counter. If you mess with it a bit, you'll figure it out.

In case that doesn't work and you actually need to troubleshoot accessing the device with the current firmware:

Can you give a link to the firmware you loaded onto the device?

Am I understanding correctly that when you hook your computer up to the router, that it gives your computer an address in the 10.255.255.255 range?

What address, specifically, does the router give you?

What does it say the gateway is?

Are you connecting to the router wirelessly or via Ethernet?

If Ethernet, are you using the WAN port or one of the LAN ports?

Sorry for 20-questions, but there are lots of different ways this could go depending on how you're connected and what you're seeing.

cilynx:

thanks for the prompts.
i had (at least) two problems:
1. it's an interesting router that seems to have a slow-discharge cap to time the unplug-time; i had to wait about two minutes between power cycles to get it to really reboot.
2. i was using ie11 and the router gui was not fully displayed. switching to firefox got me access to all the items on the gui.

thanks.
looking forward to your firmware!