What's new

Linksys RE1000 and iPads

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

steffmoes

New Around Here
Hi there

I have just purchased a Linksys RE1000 Range Extender because my wifi signal is not strong enough to cover the entire appartment. The setup proces went fine and after a few minutes my laptop and my iPhone found the strong signal from the extender which I guess overrule the weaker router signal.

However, my two iPads will not find the extender signal, and they can only log on to the router signal if they are close to the router.

So it seems, there is some kind of conflict between the iPad devices and the RE1000. I have searched for solutions online but have not found any. Do you have any suggestions as to what I can do?

Also I have a Libratone Live Airplay speaker which works fine when streaming music from my iPhone but of course not via the iPaad at the moment since the iPad cannot log on to the network. I think the Airplay speaker uses the same IP adress as the extender but I am not sure if this has anything to do with the extender-Ipad issue?

Steffen

The iPad client is evidently more "sticky" than your laptops.

Try this:

1) Take the iPad to a known weak signal spot.

2) Tell the iPad to forget its current network connection.

3) Then reconnect.

Those RE1000 will overheat and stop working. You have to unplug them and let them cool down. I own two them here and they can't handle my network. Make sure you have them setup nearby the main WiFi Router for them to communicate other wise you'll have issues. Their range from the main Router seems limited.

Hmm, thanks for your replies. But it seems strange that the Extender should be close to the wifi router because the idea is to get it away from the wifi router in order to strengthen the wifi away from the router

Hmm, thanks for your replies. But it seems strange that the Extender should be close to the wifi router because the idea is to get it away from the wifi router in order to strengthen the wifi away from the router
That's the dirty little secret of extenders. They can only pass on 50% of the throughput that they receive. And the closer to the base router / access point, the better the throughput.

Ok, thanks. Would I be better of extendind my wifi using ethernet cable? I have an old Airport Extreme which I guess could be connected to my router and works as an extender. Do you think that would be a more stable solution that could also be used with my iPads?