What's new

Linksys wrt54g

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

crunchman

New Around Here
hello everyone
I am looking for a wrt54g Linksys wireless router, question is , witch one will not accept firmware upgrade.( ie 54gL v???
? is the wrt54g good or the wrt54gL the one to get

WRT54GL is specifically designed to accept alternate firmware.

hello everyone
I am looking for a wrt54g Linksys wireless router, question is , witch one will not accept firmware upgrade.( ie 54gL v???

Search e-Bay for a 54 already flashed with DD-WRT or Tomato.

Refurbished units are available for $25 - $40.

Look for Ver 1 - 4 as they have more memory and you can install higher gain antennas. Even then the memory is small compared to today's current routers.

The 54s are work horses and can be used for certain purposes, but they are twelve year old technology and don't have the processing power to handle today's higher speed connections. If you need WiFi greater than 25Mbps look elsewhere. the 54's radios are G only The Ethernet switching is fine for 100Mbps connections.

My WRT54G was retired many years ago because it constrained the net throughput of my modest cable modem service (20/1).

hey thank you all for the info and update, Iwant it just to play around with as I am now retired (satellite internet installer ) and back then I just did not have the time
I also want to ask what are the thoughts on the wrt 1900 ac ? other than price ?

Last edited:
hey thank you all for the info and update, Iwant it just to play around with as I am now retired (satellite internet installer ) and back then I just did not have the time
I also want to ask what are the thoughts on the wrt 1900 ac ? other than price ?

Perfect application. I use the 54Gs I have to provide guest networks, bridges, repeaters and client adapters.

Enjoy!

hello everyone

WRT56G Version 4 or earlier if you want to go with OpenWRT or DDWRT...

Versions 5 and later are cost-reduced with the VXWorks OS - they can boot into a lite version of DDRWRT, but the reduced RAM and Flash footprints make them less desirable.

The WRT56GL's are, if I recall, respin's of the V3.1 version of the WRT54G, but that was a long time ago..

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!