What's new

Load Balance / Dual Wan router advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The issue with transmitter amplifiers is signal waveform quality or rho as it is called. Amps can add some Gaussian noise too. With OFDM the amplifiers have to remain linear even to the higher OFDM data rates - and at these rates the radio of the peak power to the RMS power is greatest as compared to lower speeds/modes.

I worked on engineering in an OFDM system some years ago and none of us knew much about OFDM. We found through lab tests that the PA (amp) went so non-linear that the degraded transmitted signal caused a huge increase in the receiver's bit error rate. This is a case of garbage-out, garbage-in.

The manufacturer said, yes, but to get 6dB or more of linear range operation with quadruple the price of the PA, and the PA was already a large percentage of the cost of the chipset.

So for cost reasons, most 11n and on WiFi reduces the transmitter power according to the modulation mode (order). This is called OFDM back-off and is 5-6dB in my experiences.

A real problem is that the WiFi Alliance doesn't well enforce the standards for rho (transmitted signal quality) and some vendors take great liberties, so 1W is either a crappy signal or has a fine-print (1W only at low speeds).

Last edited:
Hi guys how are you?

I`m from Brazil and i`m going to USA tomorrow

I have today the RT-AC87U

Is there any better load balance router/ dual wan router that i can buy? The 5Ghz do not reach all my house with this one, but it`s a nice router

Any advice will be great

Thanks

You could hunt down a Linksys LRT224 and use the RT-AC87U for the wireless but move the RT-AC87U to a more central location.

I'd get a separate AP to help cover any areas with a gap. Trying to get the signal to reach further from the same point is going to be hit or miss, and more on the miss side with dual wans.