What's new

look for new router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tsunami2311

I been thinking about replacing my AC66U lately again Cause I can no longer keep QOS with 200mbits teir speed. cause it disable CTF

I been looking at the AC3100, cause it 1.4ghz dual core. Which has Adapative QOS which also allow CTF from what I am reading, Will this router be more then enough to push 200mbit? and will it be up to the task of 1gbit when why isp gets?

I dont wanna be play time for router every time my ISP upgrades it speeds special when these routers are 200$+

i would look at say the asus rt-ac86u as its got the latest 1,8ghz cpu and lots of ram and should run your 200M line with qos with ease , the 86u also has the new E series broadcom wifi chipset with much better wifi coverage

What is your interest in QoS when such high ISP speeds? Is it a WiFi thing? Or still have limited uploads? I know on my current connection, I have QoS completely disabled...I am not sure I can even remotely impact the performance of another system on my network from another system.

As for not wanting to spend $200 all the time to try to keep up? Then build your own system. Get a router that routes. Get an Access Point that does nothing more than bridges. This allows for the freedom to upgrade each independently as technology changes or a device fails. My "router" costs less than $100 3 years ago (when I had 100/20 ISP) and it is still chugging along nicely after several speed bumps (now at 1000/1000).

What is your interest in QoS when such high ISP speeds? Is it a WiFi thing? Or still have limited uploads? I know on my current connection, I have QoS completely disabled...I am not sure I can even remotely impact the performance of another system on my network from another system.

As for not wanting to spend $200 all the time to try to keep up? Then build your own system. Get a router that routes. Get an Access Point that does nothing more than bridges. This allows for the freedom to upgrade each independently as technology changes or a device fails. My "router" costs less than $100 3 years ago (when I had 100/20 ISP) and it is still chugging along nicely after several speed bumps (now at 1000/1000).

upload is still limited to 35mbit, and it wifi thing i dont want multiplie clients at once downloading at 50+mbit all at once.

before I got 200/35 tier I had 100/35 With traditional QOS cpu on router was bottleneck at 100~110 mbit router cpu hit 100% which made sure that even if 90% bandwidth was used pings was not effected it would even limit speed to devices with lower priority if there was other higher prority device on the using the network. I had to disable QOS when I got 200/35 now i used bandwidth limiting in to keep things in check, so all wifi device are limited to 15/15 which has done good job of keeping ping in check,

Thing is i noticed 200/35 wired pull pull like 55-65% cpu load which always did, and but 15/15 wireless pulls 65-85 some time 100% load on the cpu, even when the wifi device isnt limited it pull that much cpu load which i never remeber seeing that high load for wifi most device barely pull 50mbit when not limited anyway. and at that kind load i see the whole network start to slow down and we not talking about bandwidth is saturated I talking with just 1 wireless client pulling 15/15 the router it self start to bog down to the point where i see websites taking longer to load, even the router has 3+ second delay when change config pages.

i would look at say the asus rt-ac86u as its got the latest 1,8ghz cpu and lots of ram and should run your 200M line with qos with ease , the 86u also has the new E series broadcom wifi chipset with much better wifi coverage

This is new I didnt know about this router look like it not shipping in USA yet, Found only 1 place selling it and they want 189$ for never heard of the bestgear site though

Last edited:
having a separate AP to handle wireless may help. Leave the router to only routing/firewalling.

i would look at say the asus rt-ac86u

Only available in China so far, and Asus never replied when I asked them if they had any plans to offer it outside of China, so who knows if/when that would happen.

Plus the stability issues plaguing the GT-AC5300 would most likely currently affect it as well (same codebase, same hardware).

Only available in China so far, and Asus never replied when I asked them if they had any plans to offer it outside of China, so who knows if/when that would happen.

we get it here on the 11th of sept along with the lyra and dsl-ac88u , still no time frame here on the blue cave though

I would go for the ac88u or a little cheaper ac87u
They are both dual cores and so far my own testing they do fine ( I use ac87 with media server and it runs just fine )

If you want LAN ports then go for the ac88. It's expensive but worth it if you ask me

Greets from PowerChaos

Greets from PowerChaos
Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!