What's new

Looking for a good Access Point

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tabinhu

New Around Here
Hello forum.

Last night my one of my routers died and i need a new access point.

The thing is that my house is pretty old and got restored recently and we have some really thick walls. (70cm give or take).

We also have a store that is run by my family in which we do not have wifi. (we would like some wifi in there, but it isn't that important, we care more about having coverage on my whole house rather than the store)

So we are looking to buy a new AP to place at the top left corner RJ45 outlet! (see image below)

The thing is, is there a way for the AP to provide wireless signal to the outside building, some of the store and the upper floor?

Also what is the "degree" that the signal is spread?

Someone said to me that it was 360º horizontal and 180º vertical. (so to have signal in the upper floor and the lower floor i'd have to mount it on the floor, correct?)

This was the model I was looking at: https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-lr/

This is my house plant: http://i.imgur.com/zCxzPal.png

Thanks for taking time to help me out!

EDIT: I'm looking to buy a SINGLE AP, not more than one! If we can't get coverage on the outside building I don't mind too much! I'm just looking for a strong AP that can deliver wifi to the "main building" and part of the store, as well as the upper levels

For a home purpose with walls I'm between what would you choose? The archer or the ubiquiti unit?

70cm walls are fairly thick as by my calculations that is 28 inches thick. From my testing at home 5 GHz will not penetrate tile in my bathroom nor my brick outside walls and my walls are no where near 28 inches thick. What are your walls made of? I have no answers other than you may need to test and probably 5GHz will not work through your walls.

I do not use 5ghz. I live in Portugal and my speed is only 15/1 max! We use 2.4ghz and will continue to use it. We still don't have fiber and there's only one router in my vicinity since I live in a small town! They're made of stone. The normal walls are made of brick. It's a 100+year old house which got renovated 2-3 years ago.

Another option for something rock-solid out of the box with no controller software to have to deal with would be a $70 EnGenius ECB-350. Atheros chip and radio, standard PoE, Gigabit ethernet, will run up to 29DbM if desired. If there are any better unmanaged N300 APs for the buck, I'd love to know. $40 Asus RT-N12s running Tomato are solid, but you have to futz with third-party firmware, and the range isn't as good. Last I checked on my 350s, I still have 20 or so in the field and the shortest uptime I think is like 3 months, longest is about 2 years. :)

Sadly we can't get such hardware in Portugal :( ended up buying the archer c7! :)
Do you advise placing openwrt on it?

Hard to answer without a "site survey".....as from all the way over here...we can't tell what your physical environment is like. Some walls can be penetrated, others can't. Hard to tell without doing a proper site survey. While I can cover my 3 story 3,600 sq ft home with some brick walls fine with a single AP....I've seen other buildings where it's hard to punch through some walls in even a small building. Depends on the construction, other wireless neighbors, other types of interference which may be around.

I know you said you want just a single AP...you may want to consider several smaller, low power APs around. Ubiquiti makes some that fit right in RJ45 wall plate jacks if you have professional ethernet in the building.
https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-wall/