What's new

Looking for a reliable router to replace my WRT610

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

15:56

New Around Here
Hey all, new member here.

I've been using Linksys for many years (first router was a A/B combo from 2003) and about a year ago upgraded to a WRT160 that worked great until about 3 months ago when the connection seemed to come and go (def was a router problem not a PC problem as I tested with several wireless devices). After I gave the 160 the boot, I 'upgraded' to a 610 and am having issues again.

Aside from streaming Fraggle Rock from Youtube for my 1 year old, I don't do much streaming though I do do a lot of uploading in the AM for work (around a GB).

Can anyone recommend me a decent wireless N router that is reliable, well built, and has a solid track record that is not Linksys?

I browsed SNB's reviews and rankings for a bit but it's very overwhelming hence my post. Initial reviews may be nice, but I'm looking for a router that has been used for at least a half a year without any issues.

Thanks!

My recommendation

I use an ASUS RT-N56U, and I've yet to find anything that beats it. It's fast, stable and stylish, and as you can see in the router performance charts, it's at or near the top. Check it out!

I use an ASUS RT-N56U, and I've yet to find anything that beats it. It's fast, stable and stylish, and as you can see in the router performance charts, it's at or near the top. Check it out!

Thanks for the reply.

How long have you been using it for?

Having used Linksys models for years, and less so Netgear, Belkin and D-Link, I'm now using a Cradlepoint (mid-range). Though they have the option of using cellular 3G/4G as the fall-back WAN connection, I use it with a Cable modem. The feature set of their firmware (which is the same in all products) is better than any other I've used. And it's never crashed or needed rebooting in many months of 24/7 use. The help files that are all inside the router are great.

I'm told that one use these get is ATM machines (stand-alone ones), and another is Machine to machine telemetry. So they just have to be reliable to be acceptable in that industrial market. I recommended Cradlepoint to a friend who does IT support for libraries - where there's no IT on-site. He reports great reliability - and some use cellular for the primary WAN due to costs and other factors.

Last edited:
I have an MBR900 which isn't the top of the line, but meets my needs. Found it on eBay way below MSRP.
On the road, I used a CTR500

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!