What's new

Looking for a router but i can only get it from a specific retailer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Personally, I'd pick a Linksys over a DLink, regardless of the firmware. Linksys's hardware is usually good quality, while I've seen my fair share of DLink hardware die young. A former customer used to buy a couple of spares when ordering them from us for their retail stores, stating that 'Those DLinks are dropping like flies".

Personally, I'd pick a Linksys over a DLink, regardless of the firmware. Linksys's hardware is usually good quality, while I've seen my fair share of DLink hardware die young. A former customer used to buy a couple of spares when ordering them from us for their retail stores, stating that 'Those DLinks are dropping like flies".
thanks man
i thought any of those top of the line consumer router would be ok, but i guess its not true
i will probably get the ea8500 if i can't find anything else to buy on sears

The DLINK issues are well known with their WebGUI - both for external threats and internal via XSS cross thread attacks - they seem to refuse to fix them, or perhaps just too hard based on the GUI design without a full rewrite..
And let's not forget the Joel backdoor...
both old issues as far as i know right

thanks for the advice everyone! Would some of those security issue be fixed if i install ddwrt on it?
they bring their own issues , plus you prob wont even notice of have any issues with the so called security issues as most normal users do use the features that are effected by them

OP its your choice the ea8500 is great but its gui is nothing special ether

i will agree you are restricting yourself by purchasing at sears but if thats what you need to spend the vouchers on then for me its ether the 8500 or 890L , they are different the 890L is tri band while the 8500 is dual band but faster wifi that you cant use yet

like i said i have tested the 890L and it works well
The DLINK issues are well known with their WebGUI - both for external threats and internal via XSS cross thread attacks
again if you can inform the OP to these specific threats when it comes to the 890L instead of just saying the above it would be great as again the chicken little concept doesnt help anyone

both old issues as far as i know right

Bugs and security holes, I can accept - it happens to everyone, as long they get fixed. Backdoors, that's a break of trust that's pretty serious, and makes it hard for me to trust their products.

...again if you can inform the OP to these specific threats when it comes to the 890L instead of just saying the above it would be great as again the chicken little concept doesnt help anyone

And doing the reverse is just as dangerous (blindly assuming that old issues are fixed by now).

Like I have already posted, doing any type of research into this leaves Asus as the best, overall, consumer router to even consider, let alone actually own and use to protect your digital 'front door'.

assuming that old issues are fixed by now
im not assuming as i know th back door and other issues mentioned have been fixed

doing any type of research into this leaves Asus as the best, overall, consumer router to even consider, let alone actually own and use to protect your digital 'front door'.

which was not needed as the OP specifically said he wanted to buy from those products

that's a break of trust that's pretty serious, and makes it hard for me to trust their products.
although i do agree it wasnt good it was picked up and resolved like other bugs and issue have been , yes none of those listed are prefect and nether is asus and yes asus and you put a lot of time and effort into improving and ensuring the devices work well but i dont see that as a need for others to bag anything else but asus and as i said i have tested the 890L and it performs well and i had no issue with it , i cant comment on the netgear stuff as their closed beta testing program aint easy to get in and i dont have the money to buy everything i test lol

Last edited:
And another one for D-Link... this time on the 890L
just fyi , i have just spoken to my dlink contact who is investigating this and will report back to me on it and will let you know if its know or has been resolved

just fyi , i have just spoken to my dlink contact who is investigating this and will report back to me on it and will let you know if its know or has been resolved

That's only one of many... and it's not just D-Link, pretty much all consumer grade routers have unpatched security issues...

thanks for the advice everyone! Would some of those security issue be fixed if i install ddwrt on it?

I concur on EA8500. I am just a typical home user. One thing it never went down since I got it(almost a year ago). It just keeps running.

That's only one of many... and it's not just D-Link, pretty much all consumer grade routers have unpatched security issues...

I've been saying it for a long time: home gateway manufacturers need to stop treating those routers like electronic toys and more like the security devices they are intended to be. We can only hope that the recent FTC actions against Asus will be a wake-call for the rest of them as well. Too many of them are using 10+ years old code that was never reviewed to fit with modern best-practice of programming, without also mentioning their lack of effort toward updating the various GPL components they use. For too long they just thought of software as a necessary evil to sell hardware products. This can't be handled like this anymore, not in 2016 when security has become critical, hackers have become more adept at digging up arcane exploits, and end-users are pushing for more, more, and even more features in their routers, turning them into firewall/AP/routers/NAS/media streamer/VPN servers/cloud servers/home automation manager/parental controller/antivirus/coffee makers.

decided to go with EA8500
anything would probably be better than the cisco e2000 i have for 5 years:D

and it's not just D-Link, pretty much all consumer grade routers have unpatched security issues...
totally agree and so its not really something anyone manufacturer has over another as long as coding and firmware are involved

I've been saying it for a long time: home gateway manufacturers need to stop treating those routers like electronic toys and more like the security devices they are intended to be. We can only hope that the recent FTC actions against Asus will be a wake-call for the rest of them as well. Too many of them are using 10+ years old code that was never reviewed to fit with modern best-practice of programming, without also mentioning their lack of effort toward updating the various GPL components they use. For too long they just thought of software as a necessary evil to sell hardware products. This can't be handled like this anymore, not in 2016 when security has become
critical, hackers have become more adept at digging up arcane exploits, and end-users are pushing for more, more, and even more features in their routers, turning them into firewall/AP/routers/NAS/media streamer/VPN servers/cloud servers/home automation manager/parental controller/antivirus/coffee makers.

We're getting way off-topic, but it's a good discussion - wonder if we can prune some of the posts here, and start a new thread and carry the conversation there.

@RMerlin - I completely agree with you on the current state of SW, capabilities, and threats these devices face, and how brittle the code base has become when trying to add new features or fix existing flaws (bugs and security)