What's new

Looking for advice for upgrading my home WIFI.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GaryTheSnail

New Around Here
I have CenturyLink DSL and a Zyxel c1000z. The c1000z is on one end of the house and we were having problems getting good signal/speed on the other end. Moving the c1000z is not an option. So, I got an extender (DLink dap1520) that gave us better signal on the far end, but speed seemed to be no better, or even worse. So, it sucks.

I checked using the WiFi Analyzer app, and there is a lot of 2.4GHz WiFi in our neighborhood. This is probably adding to the problem.

Edit: Also, we often have a TV, an XBOX, and a couple of tablets all in use at the same time. The TV and the most heavily used tablet are dual band (2.4/5GHz)

So, I'm thinking of configuring the c1000z for transparent bridge mode and turning off the WiFi. Then I'd get a TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 dual-band WiFi router for routing and WiFi.

Is this a good solution, or is there a better idea?

o, I'm thinking of configuring the c1000z for transparent bridge mode and turning off the WiFi. Then I'd get a TP-LINK Archer C7 AC1750 dual-band WiFi router for routing and WiFi.

Is this a good solution, or is there a better idea?

if the Zyxel can be successfully bridged to work as a modem only thats fine but i wouldnt go with the c7 as its 2.4 gig isnt the best and its internal antennas just dont perform well and i would suggest you spend a little more and get one of the current 1900ac class routers like the netgear r7000 and see how its coverage goes

however you would be far better of running ethernet from the current location to the other end of the house and run a second wireless access point or wireless router in ap mode or wan bypass mode , this way you bring the wifi to where its needed and not trying to force the wifi through the house , this way you wouldnt bridge the Zyxel and have 2 wifi transmissions and roam between the two depending on where you are in the house