What's new

Looking for an AP capable of 'clustering'

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deepdraft

New Around Here
Hi all,

I am looking to buy an wi-fi AP that is capable of 'clustering' the wireless connections.
That is - I want to buy two and connect them to the LAN at different sites in a building and allows for the wireless clients to seamlessly switch from one AP to another. Also minimise radio interference as much as possible, as well as network loops.
I am calling it clustering, because I used a pair of ancient US Robotics 5453 APs that referred to such capability as clustering.

I have looked at options such as WDS, but I am specifically looking for a solution that will allow me to connect both APs to the LAN - due to very high bandwidth requirements.

I am looking for b,g and n capable hardware and preferably simultaneous dual-band.

Any advice (or pointing out any obvious erros in my concept) are appreciated. Thanks.

Clustering: non-standard term.
WiFi Access Points, if set to the same SSID and security mode/key, have seamless handoffs though not instantaneous. Fast handoffs are done with proprietary means and special client (PC) software, such as Cisco's CCX. Needed only for VoIP on WiFi and talking while walking out of coverage of one AP and into another.