What's new

Looking for ASUS Firmware update guide I heared about

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hexenhammer

Regular Contributor
Hi,
So i heard on this forum that there is proper/best way to upgrade firmware on routers, something with reset, is there a guide for that?
If nor, can someone summary the process? The router was just unboxed

Regards

Look for the M&M Config and the Nuclear Reset guides in the link in my signature below. :)

Look for the M&M Config and the Nuclear Reset guides in the link in my signature below. :)

Thank you, any idea if ASUS SFP+ ports accept SFP modules? ie Can I just plug my fiber connection to SFP+ port and set it as WAN instead of user optic to copper converter box?

P.S. Do you recommend to do Nuclear Reset after firmware update or just regular reset based on Merlin FAQ [just found it] "While router is running, press the reset button for about 5 secs, then release it. Router will then reboot."?

I have always just pressed and held the reset button for 10 seconds never had any issues resetting that way works fine.

Do you recommend to do Nuclear Reset after firmware update
Most of the time, all you have to do to update is as simple as clicking the button in the GUI or download whatever version you want to install, then select it in the GUI and hit upload :)

Often a "good idea" to reboot (not reset) before and after an update.

Often a "good idea" to reset to factory after switching FW streams (Asus to Merlin and vice versa).

These steps and further resets are usually only required under extreme conditions or you are seeing bizarre behaviour.

99% of the time it is simple and straightforward.