What's new

Looking for POE router/switch recommadtions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jerry1

New Around Here
Hello New to the forum.
As my title says, i am looking for any recommendations for a router/switch POE . It will need a max of 8 ports, 6 will be fine. It will not carry internet traffic, just accessing a server, (sql). It doesn't have to be POE, but that will make the install much easier. will be using exiting CAT5 to add 3-4 ap's. Looking forward to your ideas.

For inexpensive switches, they may have only like 4 out of 8 ports supporting POE so you need a sharp eye when looking. Heres your checklist that you need for POE.

1) Find out what POE protocol you need
2) calculate how many watts you need total (add all the devices together, estimate the losses along cabling (you will need to research this)), make sure to leave some headroom. The switch itself does need some watts so take that into account as well.
3) Note the voltages you need. Do know that there will be some voltage loss on the cable itself as the cable itself acts like a resistor. Some POE protocols allows a switch to supply voltages different from what it uses while passive POE relies on supplying the same voltage the switch uses.
4) make sure you get a semi managed switch at least. Being able to see POE stats and maybe even configure them is very helpful.
5) Use solid copper cabling, Copper is a good conductor so you will lose less on copper than those copper clads. Good cabling not only means less losses but also may help supporting gigabit with POE.
6) Make sure the switch doesnt try to feed POE over a regular ethernet line for a device that doesnt use it. Hence why semi managed POE switch is important.
7) Dont panic, have a fire extinguisher suitable for electronics ready.

Thanks for the quick reply, you made thing of something I hadn't thought of, my wall jacks will be in a office , where someone could plug in a network device and damage it, ie laptop, printer, etc.
Looks like a standard power adapter for the ap's. Thanks again.

Thanks for the quick reply, you made thing of something I hadn't thought of, my wall jacks will be in a office , where someone could plug in a network device and damage it, ie laptop, printer, etc.
Looks like a standard power adapter for the ap's. Thanks again.
If the switch is semi managed that wont be an issue as you can manually enable or disable POE for ports.

Lets just say, I am on a tight budget, Doubt that I could find, router, managed switch, 3-4 ap for 1K or less.
Being directed to get a good consumer grade, and ap's and or routers configured for ap's.
Kind of make sense?

Lets just say, I am on a tight budget, Doubt that I could find, router, managed switch, 3-4 ap for 1K or less.
Being directed to get a good consumer grade, and ap's and or routers configured for ap's.
Kind of make sense?
Not difficult to find budget orientated semi managed switches. if on a tight budget and wont need to upgrade for at least 2 years there are plenty of inexpensive ones.

For example https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00LMXBOG8/?tag=smallncom-21

Although im not sure how managed the POE bit is, all that matters is that you know your requirements and getting something that fits it.

For the router it depends on your requirements too. ubiquiti edgerouters are good for up to 200Mb/s of non accelerated traffic (such as if you need QoS and such). Mikrotik has even faster routers that doesnt need acceleration. Do some searching about to find what you need and keep an eye on that wattage. Mikrotik CCR1009 has POE in and is capable of multi gigabit non accelerated NAT with QoS and firewall. Even routers can have POE in too.

As for APs go with what you need first. Ubiquiti indoor APs (or even mikrotik indoor APs) can be inexpensive especially if you dont need performance from wifi. If you dont have many people either than you dont have to worry much about wifi QoS for multiple users either and some APs can have good indoor coverage especially if in an office environment their line of sight isnt blocked for the 5Ghz.