What's new

Looking for some advice

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

stigs007

Occasional Visitor
I have Linksys WRT54G that I've had for 8 years that's really starting to give me problems. I've been debating whether to buy the Asus RT-N66U or the Asus RT-AC66U. I know for now, the N would serve me just fine b/c I don't have any AC devices. The problem is I don't see the sense in spending the money on a router when I know AC is coming, and I'm sure I'll have devices that support it in the next few years. Usually I'd wait until next year and buy an AC router, but constantly having to reset the one I have is getting tiresome. Any reason to not get the RT-AC66U?

Let's see. $200 now for a router you can't take advantage of vs. $60 or so for one (N600 class) that fits your needs just fine.

When you do buy an AC router, an AC1200 class will do just fine. You are unlikely to have any devices that will link at AC1750 rates (450 Mbps in 2.4 GHz / 1300 Mbps in 5 GHz).

One more question. What are your thoughts on the D-Link Dir-860L? It's only $99 on Amazon and most of the N600 routers seem to be at least $80. Seems like a good value.