What's new

Looking for the best wifi router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wantsstablewifi

New Around Here
We've been having an Asus RT12 C1 router and there are times where the wifi speed from the usual 55/mbps drops to about 1 or less, especially around midnight. I've tried to change the wifi channel and update the firmware, but it hasn't helped. The area is fairly congested and the router needs to provide wifi to a household with 8 people. The devices that use the internet the most don't support AC, but as old computers are gradually replaced that will change in the future. I've read that the ASUS AC68U is good, but I'm interested to know if there are even better alternatives when taking the above into consideration.

Thanks in advance

The RT-AC68U is not 'just' good. It is (still) the class leader. Particularly with RMerlin's firmware contributions and the forks based on his work too.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asuswrt-merlin-custom-firmware-for-asus-routers.7846/

If that router is in your budget today, get it now. Test it thoroughly in your network environment and I'm sure you'll find it significantly better than the old and low end budget router you are currently using. Now and as you upgrade your devices to AC standards.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/does-an-ac-router-improve-n-device-performance.19533/

Be careful about flashing the newest firmware on any router you buy if you want the ability to try different versions. (But know you may be unlucky and find the latest firmware is already installed on a brand new device and cripples your device's ability to match the hardware/firmware to your locality.

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-firmware-will-change-the-verification-method.32357/

Note that this doesn't apply to just Asus routers. Other manufacturers won't support third party firmware at all for some or most of their product lines. Buyer beware.

Asus RT-AC68U and Netgear Nighthawk R7000 still outstanding in the class 4 sure:rolleyes::D;)

The "best" router out there is the one that meets your needs, requirements, and budget.

The Wave 1 AC1900 class is stable, mature, and a great value at the $150-$200 (USD) range - any of the top tier brands will do - Netgear, Asus, Linksys, Apple, TP-Link, etc...

If you currently have an older Asus (which OP does), they're been pretty consistent in their WebUI, so if it is something that works for you now - the RT-AC68 series is a good bet.

I agree. Just recently bought 2 Netgear R7500 V2 AC2350 MIMO and all that, no 3rd party firmware support, OEM firmware just too buggy. So bought 2 Asus RT-AC68U and pretty happy so far.

Best wifi router is to get a custom made one that uses good wifi cards, good internal design, good antennas, nothing that any consumer router will give you. If you want the best you have to work for it, its not going to come in the form of a button you press where everything is great.

If you still insist on not spending effort than just compare them and get one that best fits your needs.

Asus RT12 C1 router

now to be honest with you anything is going to better than a pretty entry level rt12 as its pretty basic and prob ready to retire

and there are times where the wifi speed from the usual 55/mbps drops to about 1 or less, especially around midnight.

but that doesnt indicate a router issue as such and may just be congestion ether locally or with your isp

however you will benefit from the extra coverage and throughput a wireless AC router will provide you over what the rt 12 was even for your older wireless N client devices

as to what router to replace the rt 12 will depend on your budget as the sky is the limit now as we are seeing routers hit the $500 mark plus

as suggested the ASUS RT-AC68U is pretty good value for money esp being at the top of its class

but you can also consider the rt-ac3100 , rt-rt88u , rt-ac5300 and thats just the asus range

YES It all depends on the needs, taste and preferences that you want

The best wifi router is an AP / wifi card connected to a self-made box running pfSense (ARM version is on the way). Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

now to be honest with you anything is going to better than a pretty entry level rt12 as its pretty basic and prob ready to retire

but that doesnt indicate a router issue as such and may just be congestion ether locally or with your isp

however you will benefit from the extra coverage and throughput a wireless AC router will provide you over what the rt 12 was even for your older wireless N client devices

as to what router to replace the rt 12 will depend on your budget as the sky is the limit now as we are seeing routers hit the $500 mark plus

as suggested the ASUS RT-AC68U is pretty good value for money esp being at the top of its class

but you can also consider the rt-ac3100 , rt-rt88u , rt-ac5300 and thats just the asus range

Yeah I suspected it may be congestion. I haven't thoroughly tested it but those few times I tested connecting an ethernet cable to my laptop I got the full speed, while using wifi didn't. I think the Asus RT-AC68U sounds pretty decent for $200 cad. Once I get it, I'll see if I can flash Merlin to it. My laptop has a N-2230 wireless card which doesn't seem to support 5ghz, but as long as the connection doesn't drop to 1 mbps then it's fine with me

Also thanks everyone for taking the time to respond.

Last edited:
I think you'll get the best bang for your buck with the RT-AC68U. Just from personal experience, it's the best I've used and I've had the least amount of issues (basically nil). Better than rolling the dice on something less reliable. Good luck!

We've been having an Asus RT12 C1 router and there are times where the wifi speed from the usual 55/mbps drops to about 1 or less, especially around midnight. I've tried to change the wifi channel and update the firmware, but it hasn't helped. The area is fairly congested and the router needs to provide wifi to a household with 8 people. The devices that use the internet the most don't support AC, but as old computers are gradually replaced that will change in the future. I've read that the ASUS AC68U is good, but I'm interested to know if there are even better alternatives when taking the above into consideration.

Thanks in advance
You can try some other routers like TP-link C7. It's affordable or if your budget permits you, then you can opt for a high-end router.