What's new

Looking to replace Billion 7800n

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

OREO

New Around Here
Hi guys,

Newbie here looking to replace my Billion 7800n modem/router.
Reason for wanting to upgrade:
1. Longer distance support
2. Wireless is still alright but does get flaky once in awhile and only achieving speed of 5mbps (not too sure if that's normal)
3. Two separate networks. One for home and another for guest with bandwidth or usage control)

Can someone please point me in the right directions or is there more that I need to think about?

Thank you.

you're looking at a premium router like linksys wrt or asus or netgear. I am not sure which is the minimum model they have that supports your features but if you want you can go for wireless AC since they all have the features you ask. There is a DSL AC68U if your internet is over DSL line.

Instead of replacing the modem/router you get a new router and set your billion 7800n to bridge mode and dial from your new router.

So the billion will just be a modem and all I do is get a wireless router that has the features that I want?

Depends on what you want. There are many all in ones.

What i would need to know is
-Your internet upload and download
- do you use VPN and required VPN throughput
- what kind of wifi do you want.
- USB features? (i.e. SAMBA, FTP server, print server, etc)
- any other kind of needs

Its hard to recommend a router without knowing your requirements.

Sorry for the late reply.

• Currently on the 7800N I can achieve 17Mbps down and 1Mbp up after tweaking
  • I am thinking of using the QNAP NAS VPN software that I would purchase shortly
  • I am living in a house that has a few walls to pass through thus I would like something that can do longer distance and stability plus separating the network into 2 networks if possible
  • Print server, maybe passthrough to the USB ports
I think that's about all.

Thank you

I would actually like to have an all in one.
Although having the modem and the router separated could be more secured.

But I am running out of power sockets soon.
;)

there is the DSL-AC68U which would obviously have better wifi and usb3 port. Its more than fast enough for your internet that you can use software NAT (hopefully it will have AIprotection too but only @RMerlin can answer this).
There is also the zyxel p-2812fnu series too but its wifi isnt as good. Theres not much you can expect to get from 5Ghz penetration and all in ones arent the best which is why its better to have seperate modem and router.

In the case where you get an all in one you can use your billion router as an AP if you dont have good wifi coverage. You dont need to get VPN based NAS, you can use VPN on your router which is better than VPN based NAS because its like you're exposing your NAS to the VPN provider or to the internet. You could go with asus or even a netgear r7000 linksys wrt1900AC and all of them have VPN server which you can use at your interent speed for those dual core ARM ones. There are cheaper dual core ARM routers but their wifi isnt as good.

You could go even further to just get a dedicated router and a wifi AP which lets you use even faster and better routers. Get a surge protector with 4 ports and connect your networking gear to it. Any instability you experience comes down to 3 things if it is a good brand/model. Bad PSU, firmware (which updating/change can fix) and temperature.

Ok. I'll look into the 3 few networking router that you have recommended.

Even if the NAS VPN is isolated by it's own software, that is bad too? I'll go read up more and see what I can find.

Love to hear more input if you have more to share.

Thank you.

There are a few things i always say about networking outside your network.
1) Never use TOR on your network gear
2) Never use an external VPN or cloud like networking and such with your servers directly (which includes NAS). Always use a firewall in between

Basically what im saying is dont do this :
NAS ---------(tunnel over your networking)----------- VPN provider ---------- Network

Either use a dual core ARM router and set up VPN server on it or use any router and a VPN provider but between your computer, VPN provider and router.

I say this because you need your router firewall to do the filtering to avoid your files and stuff from being exposed to others who also use the VPN provider or even the internet because of the subnet/networking. Theres also routes involved that if wrongly generated can cause issues too.