What's new

Looking to replace RT-AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I'm not sure how the setup above works. It can't have dedicated wireless backhaul with RT-AC86U in the mix - it doesn't have 6GHz radio. AiMesh page is reporting 6GHz uplink between ZenWiFi Pro ET12, but RT-AC86U must be connected to the 5GHz radio. Something is wrong in reporting or this AiMesh system works in a strange mixed mode with one dedicated and one shared backhaul.
I just assumed the screenshot was between the two ET12's, as that's what the diagram on the left suggests.

Yes, but what's between the main ET12 and the AC86U? Must be 5GHz shared backhaul. No other option.

The main issue I see is limited hardware selection and somewhat dead end solution at the same time. To support this dedicated 6GHz Wi-Fi 6E backhaul and maintain future firmware compatibility the main router must be at least GT-AXE16000 (expensive and no good support history) to existing ET12 nodes or another ET12 node has to be added (also expensive and no good support history). I can't really recommend any Wi-Fi 6E products unless there is a special need like VR set dedicated radio. Otherwise - unpopular at start and being replaced already by Wi-Fi 7 products.

I'm not sure how the setup above works. It can't have dedicated wireless backhaul with RT-AC86U in the mix - it doesn't have 6GHz radio. AiMesh page is reporting 6GHz uplink between ZenWiFi Pro ET12, but RT-AC86U must be connected to the 5GHz radio. Something is wrong in reporting or this AiMesh system works in a strange mixed mode with one dedicated and one shared backhaul.
It is 6GHz between the ET12s and 5GHz between the main ET12 and AC86.
I ended up getting the AXE11000 since the $250 + tax price difference was a bit more than I could justify. Seems to be working just fine now. But I do need to figure out something for my detached garage. I have an empty conduit running underground, so I might get my friend to help me fish a cat6 through. Any recommendations for a simple outdoor access point?

Yes, but what's between the main ET12 and the AC86U? Must be 5GHz shared backhaul. No other option.

The main issue I see is limited hardware selection and somewhat dead end solution at the same time. To support this dedicated 6GHz Wi-Fi 6E backhaul and maintain future firmware compatibility the main router must be at least GT-AXE16000 (expensive and no good support history) to existing ET12 nodes or another ET12 node has to be added (also expensive and no good support history). I can't really recommend any Wi-Fi 6E products unless there is a special need like VR set dedicated radio. Otherwise - unpopular at start and being replaced already by Wi-Fi 7 products.
Totally get it. I invested in the ET12's a couple of years ago (hindsight), and I don't want to reset everything right now. I'll probably ride out this set of equipment for the next 4-5 years and then upgrade everything later on. Maybe switch away from Asus as well. Generally I haven't had many issues, just the nest cams will cut out from time to time.

The AXE11000 was on sale and $250 cheaper, so for now that seemed like an OK option. My friend is an electrician so might look into adding wired backhaul, but our house is like 100 years old so was a bit hesitant. Thanks for your help/advice, much appreciate.

For those TP-Link outdoors as an AP, they'd effectively be their own separate Wi-Fi network?

I'll probably ride out this set of equipment for the next 4-5 years

This GT-AXE11000 is 2020 model and unfortunately you may find it on EoL list in next 2 years. If you noticed it had no firmware update since Aug 2023. Next month it makes 1 full year with no update. You got it cheaper, but it's not a good model to buy in mid-2024 after this hardware was phased out and replaced with newer models already. The firmware development shows signs of slowing down, Asuswrt dead means no Asuswrt-Merlin as well.

For those TP-Link outdoors as an AP, they'd effectively be their own separate Wi-Fi network?

You can use the same SSIDs as your Asus network, your devices will roam to the best signal AP as usual. AiMesh doesn't make roaming any better, it's just a marketing name. What will make roaming better is all Omada APs run by Omada SDN Controller. This is a different conversation though.

This GT-AXE11000 is 2020 model and unfortunately you may find it on EoL list in next 2 years. If you noticed it had no firmware update since Aug 2023. Next month it makes 1 full year with no update. You got it cheaper, but it's not a good model to buy in mid-2024 after this hardware was phased out and replaced with newer models already. The firmware development shows signs of slowing down, Asuswrt dead means no Asuswrt-Merlin as well.
i guess I could return the thing. I got it from best buy so should be ok within 30 days. I’d have to find something else to replace it though. Axe16000 you think or is a wifi 7 better in this case. I’m ok spending the money but if you are saying EoL in 2 years then that’s no good.

I’d have to find something else to replace it though.

As I said I wouldn't invest in any Wi-Fi 6E gear. You may want to try your luck with GT-BE98 Pro.

I’m ok spending the money but if you are saying EoL in 2 years then that’s no good.

Based on hardware inside and firmware history I expect next round of EoL devices to be GT-AX11000, GT-AXE11000, RT-AX88U, RT-AX86U, etc. No one knows when EoL will come, but what we know so far is they won't get Asuswrt 5.0 firmware and approaching year gaps between firmware releases means Asus is more focused on newer models/firmware leaving the older ones on maintenance mode until someone decides to EoL them.

Longtime lurker, so thanks to everyone for the great advice over the years. So my situation is as follows:

- 3-story house, with detached garage
- Base station is an ET12 (in basement)
- 1 ET12 node on the 2nd floor office
- 1 RT-AC86U node on the first floor closest to the garage and backyard (where cameras are).

I don't have the ability to do a wired backhaul. It's all wireless. Old house and wiring at this time isn't possible.
I have a lot of IoT type items around the house (nest cameras, protects, myQ garage, lights etc) and work from home over VPN.
My internet is a 1Gbps up and down fibre.

From time to time my cameras will complain about Wi-Fi, so I'm wondering if there is a suitable replacement, maybe for the RT-AC86U?
It is an older model and maybe time to upgrade to match the ET12s?

Would something like an RT-AXE7800 work with its 6GHz backhaul band?
The 6GHz band seem to work pretty good between the ET12's and I can get close to 900Mbps between my office and the base station.

Open to suggestion.
Thanks in advance!
Why not replace the AC86U with another ET12. I have 3 ET12's in large semi-two story house and no wireless issues. Replaced a RT-AC88U mesh network that was horrible. ET12's run cool and seem to have great range. Best of all, if the ET12 used as the Router dies, I can repurpose one of the other ET12's from Node to Router. Netgear's newest gaming routers requires a replacing the router with another dedicated router unit if it fails. That's a single point of failure that could take you down for some time. good luck

Why not replace the AC86U with another ET12. I have 3 ET12's in large semi-two story house and no wireless issues. Replaced a RT-AC88U mesh network that was horrible. ET12's run cool and seem to have great range. Best of all, if the ET12 used as the Router dies, I can repurpose one of the other ET12's from Node to Router. Netgear's newest gaming routers requires a replacing the router with another dedicated router unit if it fails. That's a single point of failure that could take you down for some time. good luck
So the BE98 pro is like 1100+tax. 2 ET12 are 829+tax. Not sure if the ET12s make sense here

The price for this consumer gear doesn't make sense to me at all. I would wire the house and run SMB gear instead.

Out of curiosity how does the AX88U Pro stack up? It seems to get a bunch of praise here. I’m guessing in a wireless backhaul it would connect over 5, but if I am able to pursue the wired backhaul maybe it could be a good option?

The same as your old RT-AC86U - no 6GHz band, mixed shared backhaul to ET12, can't have dedicated backhaul.
makes sense. AX88U pro will get the new firmware, has better specs, so an upgrade from the AC86U looking at the specs. I’m thinking maybe this once since it’s much cheaper too paired with a Tplink outdoor ap. Maybe the eap225.

You decide what you want to do. I have decided long time ago - no Asus routers on my networks.

You ask for Asus routers, I give you free advice, you pay for Asus routers and then you figure it out. 😅

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!