What's new

Loss of connection wan for 2 minutes (AX88U)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Unetwork

Hello everyone,

I've been on version 3004.388.8_2 for about thirty days and since the beginning of the week I've had two internet outages, each lasting 2 to 3 minutes.
Below are the logs during the outages, there's an abnormally large number of lines for a second, until it returns to normal.
I can also find the Internet outage in the Windows logs, at the same time.

It seems that the WAN blocks and restores itself after two minutes.
Have any of you encountered this problem ?
I've never had this kind of problem with previous versions.

PS : for your information I don't use a VPN.

Thank you for your feedback.

1725207326069.png

1725207313911.png

1725207368101.png

Why do you think this is a router problem and not just an ISP issue?

We can't tell anything from your screenshots because you've redacted all the useful information. If you don't want your logs flooded with that information turn off logging of dropped packets.

Why do you think this is a router problem and not just an ISP issue?

We can't tell anything from your screenshots because you've redacted all the useful information. If you don't want your logs flooded with that information turn off logging of dropped packets.
You're right, there are three possible things: either the router, the ISP or the DNS. It's hard to pinpoint who's at fault.

On your advice, I've just disabled logging of dropped packets.
By logging only accepted packets, can this also relieve the router CPU ? (even if this isn't the cause of the outages)

1725211085519.png

Last edited:
You're right, there are three possible things: either the router, the ISP or the DNS. It's hard to pinpoint who's at fault.
That's because any useful information has been lost because the log is full of dropped/accepted packet messages.

On your advice, I've just disabled logging of dropped packets.
By logging only accepted packets, can this also relieve the router CPU ? (even if this isn't the cause of the outages)
Why are you logging any of the packets, dropped or accepted? Unless you have a reason you're just filling up the log for no purpose and making life harder for yourself.

You'll find the logs below, which may make things a little clearer. There are a lot of lines in a second during the internet cut :
That looks like normal port scanning from the internet.

Thanks for your help.

For the packages, you are right, from now on I will only register the accepted packages. There is no need to log both (This will save CPU resources and improve the readability of the logs)

If you think the logs are correct, what's going on ? Is cloudflare's DNS down from time to time, causing these WAN outages ?

Last edited:
For the packages, you are right, from now on I will only register the accepted packages.
I suggest you don't log any packets.

If you think the logs are correct, what's going on ? Is cloudflare's DNS down from time to time, causing these WAN outages ?
No idea. Wait until the problem occurs and then post the new log.

I've also just seen that these lines appear in bold and in brackets :
That's normal information.

Thank you both for this information, so I will disable logging and set it back to default.
But if the logs are deactivated, how can I find the errors during my Internet outages ?
Shouldn't we at least register the packages accept ?
I'll leave this topic open if the internet outages return.
1725216512575.png

I personally would keep DoS disabled as well, default is Disabled. It won't prevent real DoS attack and the way it works may do more harm than good. About WAN disconnections - your router has WAN monitoring and it will leave messages in logs. No need to log packets to see WAN down event.

You're only disabling the optional firewall logging. All the other messages will be still be logged.
Very well, thank you.
I'll leave it deactivated and we'll see if anything registers in the logs the next time the Internet goes down.

@Tech9 Noted. I have nothing else to touch here when the problem recurs, everything will be displayed ?

1725217636529.png

everything will be displayed ?

You'll most likely see WAN disconnection messages in logs - loss of service or port sync.

In your screenshots - 15:11:46 to 15:11:48 was actually something happening for 2 seconds, not 2 minutes.

All right, I'll keep an eye out for more internet disconnections.
You're right, it's a matter of a few seconds, but the feeling is longer and the Internet stops working during that time.

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!