What's new

Low 2.4 GHz throughput from WRT1900AC

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sm00thpapa

Very Senior Member
I'm having some serious 2.4GHz band issues. I have a 70Mbps download speed from my ISP in which I get from my 5GHz band but the 2.4GHz band is only giving me 5 to 8Mbps. I am on ch 1 with no other devices on that ch and in 20MHz mode only. I'm thinking it is a hardware issue with the 2.4GHz radio. No matter what I do the 2.4GHz band is useless.

I'm having some serious 2.4GHz band issues. I have a 70Mbps download speed from my ISP in which I get from my 5GHz band but the 2.4GHz band is only giving me 5 to 8Mbps. I am on ch 1 with no other devices on that ch and in 20MHz mode only. I'm thinking it is a hardware issue with the 2.4GHz radio. No matter what I do the 2.4GHz band is useless.

Change the 2.4Ghz to Mixed Mode and Auto channel width settings.

Disconnect and reconnect then try the speed test.

Did that and same issue. All of my laptops are affected and I'm 5 feet from the router.

Change to channel 6.

Are other devices getting the high speed right now. Just to be sure it's not an ISP slow down.

Last edited:
I went to ch 1, 6 and 11 and same issue. I hooked my RT-N66W back up and everyone is getting the full 70Mbps on there laptops. I went back to the WRT1900AC and all laptops dropped to 5Mbps. So it is the router.

I went to ch 1, 6 and 11 and same issue. I hooked my RT-N66W back up and everyone is getting the full 70Mbps on there laptops. I went back to the WRT1900AC and all laptops dropped to 5Mbps. So it is the router.

Can you PM me the sysinfo.cgi?

Started new thread

I moved this into its own thread. Time to start opening new threads for new topics.

When you say you can only get 5-8Mbps, I'm assuming you're talking about a speediest like Ookla, right?

Have you tried multiple PCs at the same time? That might tell you if your bandwidth is actually capped at that speed or if something is throttling individual machines.

I certainly don't see this. I have my 2.4Ghz band set to B/G only and clients are able to max it out.

Testing one laptop at a time. Hard wired and 5GHz I get the full 70 Mbps. 2.4 only 3 Mbps. With other routers I get the full 70 on 2.4. so this is the 2.4 radio in the WRT that is the problem.

Testing one laptop at a time. Hard wired and 5GHz I get the full 70 Mbps. 2.4 only 3 Mbps. With other routers I get the full 70 on 2.4. so this is the 2.4 radio in the WRT that is the problem.

I understand it appears to be a problem with the router.

I'm trying to determine if the issue is really characterized the way you say.

That's why I suggest doing 2 PCs at once rather than just one. If the radio is limiting total throughput to only 3Mbps, one would expect that two PCs simultaneously would only get 1.5Mbps each.

If they both get 3Mbps, then that's a different issue, even though it still might be caused by the router.

Ok just ran 3 at once and they all got between 3 and 5 Mbps each. 2 were upstairs and one downstairs 10 feet from the router. My 5GHz laptops both at the same time ran at 70Mbps. I may go back to a later firmware and see what happens. I have 10 routers so no emergency on returning it. I emailed Belkin Customer Service as well. Also calling my ISP as maybe my Modem/Router came out of Bridge mode.

Yeah man it got me stumped. Been playing with it for 24 hours and no good results. Hard wired and 5 GHz is working wonderful so it has to be the 2.4 GHz radio.

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

I know this is somewhat elementary but have you tried resetting to factory defaults and seeing if that fixes the issue?

Re set the router to factory specs. My ISP confirmed my modem/router is in bridge mode with wifi off. Hard wired and 5GHz I get the full 70Mbps. No other stations on my 2.4GHz band. I am clueless why my 2.4Ghz band is suffering.

That certainly sounds like a hardware error of some kind.

Strange that it's limiting throughput on each individual device though.