What's new

Low signal strength around my house (WTR120n)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jpereza50

Occasional Visitor
Hello to everybody,

This is my firt message and Im sorry to be this way but I need some advice.
I have a WRT120n on one room, the room is 4x4 (in meters), it has brick walls, next to this room is another 4x4 room and a 6x4 (the living). There is a door from the routers room to the living, and another door to the other room (room B), also, room B and the living has a door. I hope everyone can "imagine" but it is not a complicated house.

I have a wired computer, a couple of notebooks which are most of the time on the living (one N and one G), a couple of cellphones (N) and an XBOX with a Vonet adapter (G).

I have two problems:

1- The cellphones do not get a good signal, one of them is a Galaxy S2 and it keeps changing his sync speed, starts at 65Mbps and then keeps jumping from 5Mbps to 26Mbps, sometimes around 50Mbps, no more than that.
2- The XBOX has some serious issues, I understand it is not on the best spot (its on the "corner" most away from the router) and the adapter isnt the best but it struggles to get anything.

More data...

- I live in a house, there are no interference from other signals, I mean, there are a couple but are really low.
- With my S2 did some little site survey, the signal says between -70db and -50db around the house, even on the worst spot (the XBOX).
- The N notebook syncs at 120-150 Mbps
- The VONET adapter, while connected to a notebook shows between 10% and 30% signal strength on the XBOX place.
- The S2 even next to the router does not stays at 65Mbps.
- The S2, in the living, at no more that 4 mts from the router in straight line with the open door fluctuates with moments of 5Mbps.
- If I cross my front door (in the living) I lost all of my signal, it is impossible to keep connected out of the house (curious because I see signals from the neighbors)

This is pretty weird, clearly I need more strength, it is not unusual that the notebooks receives signal, it´s bigger and with better antenna, but anyway I shouldn´t have this problems...

So, I cant increase the signal of my WRT120n, should I change it?, will something like a WRT610n give me better signal? (thinking on the same line to be simple, and without entering the EA line, its dual band as the new ones and I dont need more than 300Mbps because I have nothing like that).

What do you think?

Thank you!!!

Please ensure you have your router communicating on a non congested wireless channel. You can go to the Google Play store and search for the Amped Wireless Wifi Analytics tool>download it>it will tell you the least congested channels to use as well as other tools.

You may also download the program called InSSIDer if you have a windows based laptop and it will also scan networks and provide the congestion data as well.

After using those, please change your channel to one that's not congested.

channel congestion will not cause weak signals; it causes reduced thoughput IF the channel and neighboring channels are VERY busy.

Weak signal from router
faulty client- confirm that ALL client device have weak signal, same area
faulty WiFi in router
poor router location, antennas obstructed
lath/plaster walls attenuate inter-room signals (wallboard, far less)

Adding an Access Point is the cure, if the WiFi router is not faulty or placed poorly

weak cellular is wholly independent of WiFi. How far to the carrier's cell site? In urban area with too many blocking buildings? In the US, Verizon will have the best coverage with rare exception.

Hi,
Do you have an option to relocate the router and try again even for temporary?

Ho there, channel congestion isnt the issue, there are no more than 3 wifi networks around and none of them are strong enough. I choose channel 9 because there are no nets on that.

Router relocation is very difficult, anyway it is now in the center of the house, any other location would put the router on the living for example but it isnt possible because of my wires and how they are. And honestly this is no a big house..

The main notebook has no issues.around the house but ill try to take some screenshots for you to see..

Enviado desde mi GT-I9100 usando Tapatalk 2

I've had success with power line adapters to solve similar issues.

I connected a linksys PLWK400 for a friend and they haven't had any problems since.

Edit: it could also be time to find a new router and retire the one you have.

Last edited:
Hmm,
Even moving router vertically up or down (like from desk top to a higher shelf on the wall, hanging on the ceiling) could make a difference.

I do think a new router should help, but I dont want to waste money of course, how can I be sure the new router is more powerfull? Or is just that any newer is better?
For example e3000 is the same as wrt610n being this one much cheaper of course.

More info, on the living, straight line to the router, no more that 3mts. My S2 shows -50db but syncs at 5Mbps. My wifes phone, a much smaller Defy shows -70db and syncs at 65Mbps. One next to the other. There is a huge difference id a sit in front of my S2, the signal goes down no less than 10db.
At this point I believe there is some issue with my S2 firmware.

Then, in the worst spot of the house my S2 shows -70db as signal.

All of this was measured with "Wify Analizer". Im actually using just the 20mhz band and on channel 11.

Will try to move up the router... to see if it makes any difference, right now it sites on my PC desk

Moving the router up, to a shelf didnt help.
The Vonet adapter from the xbox has a pdf showing how to hack it to add an external antenna, that could help with the xbox to have a more stable connection but ir requires some modification on the board, nothing to do today.

Im not sure if I need to change the router, even worse the 120n cant be used as a bridge so its basically useless if I buy a new one.
Also it could be very usefull for me tu have an USB port

After a few more trials I found that the Xbox place is a weak spot, the notebook also shows signs of it.
How can I be sure that a new router is more powerfull that the one I have?
The other option seems to be powerline adapters, a great suggestion altough Im not familiar with them.

The electrical wiring? I think its ok... Im dont have any issues

Hi,
One last thing if you don't mind spending time further. Try every channel
and see which channel gives best signal.

The electrical wiring? I think its ok... Im dont have any issues

With Homeplug you will have a transfer rate of about 8Mbytes/sec. That's how mine did.

They worked good for gaming, however if you got bad electrical then it's better to get a range extender and then plug whatever into it if it's got ports.

With Homeplug you will have a transfer rate of about 8Mbytes/sec. That's how mine did.

They worked good for gaming, however if you got bad electrical then it's better to get a range extender and then plug whatever into it if it's got ports.

Ok, honestly I dont have a way to check my wiring (or do I?). Also, 8Mbytes are 64Mbits thats pretty good!

So, the right steps are the expensive ones:

1- Buy a new router, this will help any way and I have the chance to add a USB port to share the storage on my network (EA3500/EA4500).
2- If my XBOX connection keeps bad I could buy the official wifi adapter or, for the same money a couple of HomePlug AV adapter (TPLINK), this one is a better option without doubts.

Am I right?

Last edited:
Do you have any idea when your house was built or anything??? Do you have any electrical problems?

I got an 8Mbytes/sec and my house has bad electrical. On wireless with the Amped ACA1 I'm getting around 22Mbytes/sec sustained average and it's thru 2 walls, a chimney, and a all wood dresser and a fat cat... LOL.

Last edited:
Do you have any idea when your house was built or anything??? Do you have any electrical problems?

I got an 8Mbytes/sec and my house has bad electrical. On wireless with the Amped ACA1 I'm getting around 22Mbytes/sec sustained average and it's thru 2 walls, a chimney, and a all wood dresser and a fat cat... LOL.

LOL!

My house is and old one, but the wires were changed no more than 8 years ago. I have no issues with power, the only one is that one air conditioner is in the same loop as the other plugs so when it becomes active some times I see some tension drops. I assume that could account for some "noise".

Clearly my router is a problem, 22Mbytes is good enough, in my XBOX spot I get no more that 2Mbits, also, that wifi adapter is crap, the notebook gets a much better signal.

The Xbox spot is two walls and a closet away, also, the XBOX adapter lies behind a LED TV on the same desk, the walls are made of brick, the TV isnt causing noise, no matter if its on or off or even unplugged, nothing changes.

Last edited:
You would not want the homeplug being on the same circuit as an AC. That would degrade performance.

In your situtation I would recommend a range extender that has ethernet ports on it.

The Amped SR20000G has 5 of those on it. I had one.

Things to watch for in HomePlug a.k.a. IP on power wiring

bridge device (e.g., HomePlug box)...
plugged into a power strip that has surge suppressors. Also supresses RF signal.

same as above, but plugged into common outlet with some TV and audio devices - as most today have an internal surge suppressor. Try to keep many feet of wire between TV/audio things and the HomePlug device.

HomePlug device #1 is on a different circuit breaker than #2, and either
The two breakers are (in the US) on opposite phases in the breaker box, or
The breakers are the new type with built in ground fault interrupts/filters.