What's new

Max attaches USB hdd size?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

repeater

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

Just got an 86u planning on flashing Merlin soon. The box says max 4tb usb drive? Is this true or can I slap an 8tb on it?

If not would partitioning it I to two 4tb partition work?

Thanks!

There have been mixed reports for drives that large but I think that's more to do with hardware compatibility rather than the size. You'll have to try it for yourself. Be aware though that formatting drives that large as NTFS can cause problems. If you're using something like ext4 it should be OK.

Hi all .

Yesterday I bought a nice shiny 6tb drive to use and all was good including installing download master . Then I thought "oooooo maybe I'll reformat the drive through the router" to see if a native NTFS format brought and performance increase .

Well it knackered it beyond use . Trying to format through windows administrative tools only allowed to use 2gb of the drive and so did 2 other drive partition apps .

Today I returned it for got a new one, plugged it in and installed download master again, removed the drive and plugged it back in to the laptop and all is well.

So using a bigger format drive is all good, but for heaven sake don't format it through the router as the 4gb limit is definitely a real thing!!

Regards,

Nathan

Woke up this morning to see an error on the HDD in the webui . I connected it to the laptop and a disk check versified and fixed it, but when I plugged it back into the router and ran a scan it showed an error again . I think the best idea is to ignore the webui and just run a scan on the laptop from time to time.

Regards,

Nathan

Last edited: