What's new

May I enable PPPoE Pass Trought?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Carlos M.

Regular Contributor
I'm trying to config a DSL-N14u as a bridged modem and setup a RT-N66u as the main router.

I have a lot of problems to wake up the PPPoE connection from my router and, dessesperated, I'm checking each possibility. One of hem is to enable the Passtrought for PPPoE at the DSL modem. The tip for this option say that "if a divece from the LAN want use a PPPoE connection this must be enabled" but... I'm lost.

Too many options to configure and no info at the user guide... :(

hi

bridge mode is pretty simple as you just select bridge mode when you run the setup wizard for the DSL-N14u

this bypasses all features of the modem apart from its actual modem function thus making it transparent to the actual connection between the exchange and the wireless router

once the modem is running in bridge mode and you confirm it as such you can then connect the wireless router behind it and set it up for a pppoe session

to check the modem is actually bridged see the following

Testing Modem is in bridge mode requires you set up a ppp session in windows as below

PC setup for running PPPoE (for Windows):

Go to the Control Panel from the Start Menu
Click Network Connections
Under the Wizard heading – click “New Connection Wizard”
At the Network Connection Type screen, click “Connect to the Internet”
Select “Setup my connection manually”
Select “ Connect using a broadband connection that requires a user name and password”
At the Connection Name Screen, type in "your isp's name" where it asks for the ISP name
At the Connection Availability screen select “Anyones Use”
At the Internet Account Information screen, enter your user name and details and ensure both of the check boxes, are ticked ie for
o “use this account name and password when anyone anyone connects to the internet from this computer”, and
o “make this the default internet connection”.
At the Completion of New Connection Wizard, tick “add a shortcut to this connection to my desktop”.

To go online, every time you wish to connect, double click the "your isp's name" icon, enter your user name and password and click “connect”.

Once you have confirmed that the modem is indeed in bridge mode you may delete the above settings in your comp

------------------

btw the use of pppoe passthrough should not be needed and would not be used if the modem is correctly in bridge mode