What's new

Media Center PC Connecting Over Wireless

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Tuna

New Around Here
As the title states I'm looking for a wireless solution (Router/AP <-> Pci/e Client) to provide good throughput to my MCPC. I know that to support applications like HD video streaming a wired network is preferred, but I live in a quad level house with lots of old drop ceilings that really complicate the wiring. There is some distance, walls and floors to go through between where my AP is now and the MCPC, and not a lot of wireless traffic to contend with in the neighborhood.

Reading up at smallnetbuilder It looks like I need a sustained 20MBps without buffer to support good HD, and that typical wireless is capable of this throughput but not consistently. My current thinking is to purchase a Linksys E4200 along with a Intel 6300 mini pci/e, mini pci/e to pci/e adapter, and 3 8dbi antenna's for it. Thoughts?

Is there a better low cost commercial solution for this? Could I build something specific for this application (6300 <-> 6300)? I'm not a networking professional but also not sacred to get my hands dirty.

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Thiggins, It seems as if the Powerline adapters have made some strides since I last looked at them. I'll give those a try.

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!