What's new

Medium Home, VPN capable router recommendations (newbie)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

NoSkillWill

New Around Here
Howdy,

I have been meaning to get a VPN setup for sometime. After doing a bit of research I think a VPN router would suit me best, mainly to connect the smart tvs for netflix. Im not super into programming things but can figure it out.

I'd like to future proof my home as much as I can but my max spend is around $300 unless I am getting some serious value for money. Wireless connectivity is my major concern at the moment but obviously speed is important especially while running a VPN.

ASUS RT-AC86U has come up as a good possibility.

I'm Running on the network: 2 PCs, 2 Laptops, 3 iPhones, iPad, 2 TVs. I intend to set up a NAS down the track when I have the time.

Currently on Telstra Broadband via HFC with their standard 'home network hub' modem/router.
Planning to upgrade to NBN when it becomes available (2019/2020), home will be FTTC(orner) connection. Compatability is a consideration but not a requirement.
House is medium size two story and we currently have wifi connection issues upstairs away from the router, typically between 10pm and 12am. Primary use is for netflix, work, browsing, downloading and some gaming.

I ran some speed tests around the house as follows:

Pc (Ethernet)
Speedtest.net 57.6/4.5
Testmy.net 3.5/0.391
Ozspeedtest 50.4
Speedof.me 11.9/1.4

iPhone 2G wireless
Speedtest.net 38.7/4

Laptop 5G wireless
Speedtest.net 57.2/4.6
Ozspeedtest 47.4

I’m skeptical of the speedtest.net results as I am with Telstra. I was also surprised the pc results were so bad. They were wildly inconsistent across multiple tests, varying by as much as 10mbps.

The wireless tests were done upstairs in the bedroom around the tv that has connection issues during high traffic times.

Thanks for the help!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0752FD3XJ/?tag=snbforums-20

This router will give you full speed via vpn. Some newer chips in this compared to the 68U. Look up the model. It has got some great reviews. This is my next upgrade.
Yeah this router is my lead contender. I'm in Australia so its pretty expensive to buy from a HarveyNorman (Exclusive seller) Can buy from eglobal online for a lot less but I am unsure if it is worth the risk.