What's new

Merlin 380.65_2 - Both Wifi Dropping In and Out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

No I don't have either of them enabled but what I do have are neighbors with super strong Wi-Fi networks on all sides of me. I have at least 30 competitors around me which doesn't make for a great environment for me. This is one of those times where I wished that I was isolated. When I monitored acrylic a little while ago some of their networks were stronger in my house than my own routers so I'm at their mercy.

I have the same problem almost, not as many as 30 but significantly more than where I moved from. I was living out in the country last year here in KY, virgin air space. I couldn't pick up my network signals from either of my neighbors houses, and their networks didn't register on a site survey.

I don't use WIFI for my personal stuff very much where I'm at now, my apartment is small enough that I hard wired dang near everything, all but my Alexa and the couple of devices I have for that. What's really been challenging is the network I host for a friend who helps me pay my internet bill. He can only access the 2.4GHz band, I'm trying to get him to upgrade to a better interface but he seems content to let me headache with the signal quality issues I've been dealing with:confused: As I was typing this he texted me, the internet is down again.... It made it almost 3 days without having to reboot the router:(

I had the same problem. Even bought RT-AC3200 instead of RT-N66U I was using all the years before. Then I finally read some things on forums and reverted to 380_64_2 which is really stable.

That's what I recommend all of you with Wi-Fi problems. Because I don't have any for days now :)

I had the same problem. Even bought RT-AC3200 instead of RT-N66U I was using all the years before. Then I finally read some things on forums and reverted to 380_64_2 which is really stable.

That's what I recommend all of you with Wi-Fi problems. Because I don't have any for days now :)
My AC66U is stable WIFI wise on the 380.65_4, it's just the VPN that's giving me fits:(

After I rolled back to the factory 7266 firmware I monitored my Wi-Fi performance using acrylic and immediately noticed that my 2.4ghz signal strength was better than when running Merlin. The interface is, however, much slower to respond to input. I'm really hoping that Asus will release a newer version of the firmware to address the known issues and improve our routers performance.

Control Channel is set to auto and it has me on 5 right now, and I'm the only one on 5, I had it on C11 but still had the current issue. 1,6,&11 are pretty congested here, there are 6-APs on C1, 4-APs on C6, and 3-AP on 11, and all of them are close enough to register a full signal strength in not only the site survey tool, but on a PC, phone, tablet ect.

Because of the band width used, channel 5 overlaps with C6 and to a lesser extent C1. The only channels which do not overlap to some extent are 1, 6 and 11.

AFAIUI, two WiFi routers operating on the *same* channel will see each other and cooperate by sharing airtime. On the other hand, if they are on adjascent channels (for example 5 and 6), they will still interfere with each other, but won't be able to cooperate. So in this case, it would be better to set the channel manually to 6, rather than allow the router to select 5 automatically, even though this appears wrong at first sight.

Radio propagation is a tricky thing, and the best thing would be to experient with channels 1, 6 and 11.

I am not sure if the above will solve your drop out problem, but it won't make it worse.

Well to make a long story short I reinstalled 380.65_2 and have set a reboot schedule for 2AM at regular intervals during the week to refresh the router and insure that it retains an IPv6 connection during use hours.