What's new

Merlin GT-AX11000 Internet Up But No Traffic Passing

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

moomoo71

New Around Here
Hello,

For the past few weeks, just as the title states, everything appears to be working but no traffic passes and all devices remain connected but cannot access the Internet. I have quite a bit of experience with networking in general, but not Merlin. I am attaching the syslog. If you look right before Jul 28 15:15, something happens and I have to reboot. Once I reboot, it all works again but I'm having to do it 2-3 times a day now. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• syslog.txt
    937.6 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
have you tried a clean install ? what FW are you on and what was the lasy working FW version

I'm on the latest firmware, 388.8. I was hoping the update would fix it since it seemed like it started happening after the previous update. I'll try a clean install though. If worse comes to worst, I'll try the stock FW. Thanks.

Your title says "no traffic passing", but your description says "all devices lose connection". Those are not quite the same thing. The latter sound like wireless dropouts, while the former sounds more like still connected, but something stops traffic flow.

Many times ppl incorrectly interpret the behavior. They use the browser, it doesn't work, and they just assume the internet isn't working. But sometimes it's just a failure of DNS. If that's the case, then you should still be able to ping an explicit IP (e.g., 8.8.8.8). And if that doesn't work, can you at least ping the router (e.g., 192.168.1.1)?

Is the WAN still connected? Is it just a LAN client problem (iow, while on the router, things still work normally)? Is it wired and wireless clients? Etc.

IOW, you have to do more to narrow down the problem.

I just used poor wording. Fixed verbiage. All wired and wireless devices are connected but cannot access the Internet. Wan shows up, Lan ports show up and WiFi is up when this happens. Nothing can seem to get to the Internet though. Rebooting fixes it for a while.

Qos and Trend Micro security features are all disabled.

I just used poor wording. Fixed verbiage. All wired and wireless devices are connected but cannot access the Internet. Wan shows up, Lan ports show up and WiFi is up when this happens. Nothing can seem to get to the Internet though. Rebooting fixes it for a while.

Qos and Trend Micro security features are all disabled.

And LAN devices can still communicate with each other?

And if you ssh into the router, you can't access internet either?

is the router in route mode or something else, by mistake ?

It's in router mode with 2 mesh nodes. All same model.

Just happened again. I can access the router from my PC. Internet shows up. However, I cannot ping to another device, nor can I access the internet from SSH or the speed test in the router.

Update: I was also having trouble with an Ethernet link to one of the mesh nodes, so I replaced the router and did a fresh config. So far, so good and the wired connection started working again. I'll test the old router on my home office LAN once I'm confident the replacement fixed the issue.

48 hours later, the router swap worked. Still need to do a clean install on the previous one to see if was hw or sw.

Final update - The original router has two malfunctioning LAN ports. Everything works fine if I only use ports 1 and 2. I need more than that, so I'm just going to sell the original. Thanks for everyone's input.

This has been widely discussed, for years. The AX11000 is terrible. I'm now on my fifth (one new order; three RMA; one return - and I've had a couple generations)
One of my many posts (TITLE is AC86U; but content is AX11000 - you can search for more), some of which had people attacking me for being stupid and not knowing WiFi (side-note: I've been testing WiFi and other network technologies since 1991, including the first-ever cover-story DSSS 928Mhz test at Syracuse University).

Latest threads

Support SNBForums w/ Amazon

If you'd like to support SNBForums, just use this link and buy anything on Amazon. Thanks!

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!